Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

New to the forum here. I have an '06 TB with the I-6 and I am considering upgrading to SS "similar" specs. I am just testing the waters, but I'd like to move to a 5.3 or 5.7 and I was wondering if anyone has done a swap like this before or can point me to a link where this is discussed. Also, being new to this, if anyone can give any info as to how I can make the most of the 4.3 I am open minded to that as well. :) I tried to search but couldn't find what I was looking for. Any info at all would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1,356 Posts
Welcome to the group :tiphat I am sure some will jump in here but I will start.

Fisrt off it s a 4.2 not 4.3

It is cheaper and easier to but a 5.3 or SS than convert the I6 to one of htem (SO I have heard)

For the I6 start with ..
Good plugs
performance ait filter
Fluid changes to Synthetic
Cat back exhaust system
Most off have teh PCM upgraded by PCMForLess .. they are a vendor here and people s:m2:waer by em.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Hey!

New to the forum here. I have an '06 TB with the I-6 and I am considering upgrading to SS "similar" specs. I am just testing the waters, but I'd like to move to a 5.3 or 5.7 and I was wondering if anyone has done a swap like this before or can point me to a link where this is discussed. Also, being new to this, if anyone can give any info as to how I can make the most of the 4.3 I am open minded to that as well. :) I tried to search but couldn't find what I was looking for. Any info at all would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I think you may have missed by a year. IIRC the '07+ PCM is the flexible one.

It is highly cost prohibitive to make engine swaps from the I6 to any of the V8 versions.

Make your I6 the best it can be as stated above or sell it and buy a V8 model of your choice. :m2:

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
With an 06, you might have a chance to make this work. Going to be a LOT of rewiring and you might need an entire wiring harness from a V8 truck but I am not 100% sure.

You will need to replace and then repin the PCM harness to use either an LS1 (99-08) PCM or an E40/E67 ECM and T42 TCM. Choice is yours, depends on what year motor you want to use as the LS1/E40s use the 24x reluctor and the E67s use the 58x. I might suggest the E40/T42 combo as that is what GM used in 05-06 in our platform, but the E67 is much more flexible in terms of what it can run so that might be a better choice. Also the I6 doesnt have the proper CAN bus communication lines from what Ive heard so using the E40 might be an easy way to not have to deal with this.

Motor mounts, need the oil pan off a GMT360 V8 truck to keep 4WD, plus the standard swap parts. Get the 8.6" rear diff from a junkyard, the 8" the SWB I6s have wont last. Also depending on what size engine you might need to upgrade the trans with a built unit.

But honestly you can probably find a cheap 06-08 SWB 5.3 for not much more than you could sell your 06 I6 for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts