Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I would like to say Hello Everyone and I am excited to be a member of this site. I am getting ready to tackle the struts on my 2006 TB. I have mechanical knowlege and abilty but I have never replaced struts. Is this a task I sould attempt or would that be a bad idea? I pulled the wheels and looked and it didn't seem too threatening. Any words of advice would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Welcome to the site :tiphat

As for the struts, a good quality spring compressor is needed. It also can be a dangerous job, and has the potential to seriously injure or kill you if done wrong. :eek:

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but had a shop with the proper tools do the front struts for me. :yes:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Swaping struts is a somewhat easy task as long as you have the correct tools such as a strut spring compressor and pitman arm puller.
A air impact wrench works best for compressing the springs rather than hand wrenching.

PB Blaster your upper stut rod nuts and lower strut mount nuts way in advance. you will thank me for that tip later. lol

Remove the lower strut mount nut first and break the lower arm loose with the pitman arm puller, then remove the 2 upper mount nuts one at a time.
When removeing the last upper mount nut be sure to hold the assembly from droping out on the ground.

Once you have safely compressed the spring to relieve the extreme stored energy from the upper mount, you can remove the center strut rod nut.
Wire brush the threads before you try to loosen the nut!

Remove the upper mount and strut from spring, replace with new and put it all back together in reverse. If you dont get the upper mount back in the correct position you can loosen the bolt that retains the lower arm to the strut and rotate it till it lines up with the lower mount stud.

Just an FYI i would replace the upper mounts while you have the assembly appart, cus if you need struts.. chances are the mounts also need replaced.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the site :tiphat

As for the struts, a good quality spring compressor is needed. It also can be a dangerous job, and has the potential to seriously injure or kill you if done wrong. :eek:

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but had a shop with the proper tools do the front struts for me. :yes:
The last thing I want to do is injure or kill myself. Do the springs and struts come off as one piece then separated later? If that's the case, I could remove them from the vehicle and have a qualified shop remove and replace the spings on the new struts (anything to save a buck.)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
8 Posts
I'm a new guy too, welcome!

I just replaced my front struts, I bought "quick struts" from ebay. It's the complete unit, all new parts and new springs. Took me less than an hour to replace both front units, including jacking up the truck. Was very easy. No spring compressor required, and the TB now sits up higher in the front like when it was new.

Just my :m2:, you may want to look into that as an option.

WW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are great. I'm loving this site already. Never been on a forum before and I dont know how I got along without it. I think I will give this a shot on my own. I will follow your directions and tips. I will get back with you and loet you guys know how it went. Hopefully I still have all fingers so I can easily type!
Thanks again

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,289 Posts
While you at it why don't you contact MarkMC 2nd post and buy his suspension lift.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
I'm a new guy too, welcome!

I just replaced my front struts, I bought "quick struts" from ebay. It's the complete unit, all new parts and new springs. Took me less than an hour to replace both front units, including jacking up the truck. Was very easy. No spring compressor required, and the TB now sits up higher in the front like when it was new.

Just my :m2:, you may want to look into that as an option.

WW
I took this same route for mine also. Alot less headache and stress plus I also couldn't believe how much my front had sagged too.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
..... Do the springs and struts come off as one piece then separated later?.....
Yes, you can remove them and have them taken apart & new springs installed at a mechanic shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:thumbsup:Just wanted to let everybody know the quick-struts finally arrived (a bit slow on the shipping) and I getting ready to tear into it. Thanks for all the advice and I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Struts are in. We are back up and running. Less than two hours with the "quick struts." I can't that you enough for the suggestion. I had to rent a pitman arm puller, but other than that, no problems. Loved it!

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
53 Posts
HELP Can't get second strut installed

Purchased the Monroe quick struts from my 2006 Envoy. rented a pitman puller and was able to install the driver side stut, though not nearly as fast as the rest of you on this site.

I am now stuck on the passenger side. The I can not get the lower control arm low enough to get the strut arm on the control arm pin. Had some difficulty with the first one, but was able to get it on. Any suggestions would be great.

I followed the instructions on this link and worked ok other then the problem above.

It's 11:30pm and I have to call it a night....very frustrated.

http://www.trucktestdigest.com/TTDfeatureStrutandShockInstall.htm

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
53 Posts
Disconnect the swaybar link if you haven't already.
Suggestions on how to do that. I tried, but the nut keeps turning the bolt and the bolt head is in some kind of boot. I did not want to dig into that not knowing how to take off.

·
Banned
chevy
1,091 Posts
The hole on the end of the stud is keyed with an allen head. I think 8mm does the trick. Use that to hold the stud in place while you take off the nut... or use an impact gun.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
53 Posts
The hole on the end of the stud is keyed with an allen head. I think 8mm does the trick. Use that to hold the stud in place while you take off the nut... or use an impact gun.
Mine turned out to be a 7mm, of course I did not have that one. 6, 8 and 10mm. And I find it strange that GM uses metric on all of the nuts and bolt in the suspension except the one for the stabalizer bar link. That was 13/16"

Lastly I finally did solve my problem I wrote up my solution at:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=87918

Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts