Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new plugs in the mail today... Denso Iridium Power #ITV16...

Started by removing the #1 coil pack, then took out old plug... put in new plug... went to put coil pack back in... and SNAP. I overtightened the bolt holding the coil pack in.

Now I have a broken bolt in the motor. It broke just above the last thread, so I can't reach it with plyers or anything. My only option, is to drill the bolt out a little and use an extraction kit.

I was a bit ticked off by this, but figured let me at least replace the other 5 plugs and get those in... Luckily, those all have gone in without any problems. I even managed to keep my hands from getting sliced on the TB!!!

So now I'm at a point where 2-6 are replaced and back together... 1 has the new plug in, but the bolt for the coil pack is broken in the shaft... FML!

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
That sucks about the bolt. At least it was'nt #6:no: But hopefully you can get it out with a screw extractor, I've had pretty good luck in the past. But on the bright side I think you will like the Denso's, I've had them in for a month now and the truck seems to idle and accelerate much smoother than the AC Delcos. Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well... I finally got bolt out. It was a pain in the a$$ to get. The drill wouldnt possition properly and kept jumping a bit. I didn't want to hit any of the threads on the casting.

I managed to drill out enough of the bolt to allow me to grip it with a set of needlenose pliers just enough to slowly unthread it out.

EDIT: It appears as though, a M6-1.00 x 100mm bolt will work. It's not tapered like the OEM bolt, but it will work.... too bad I can't drive to HD to get one!!!!

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Mario, you posted a couple of hours ago, so it may be too late to get to the store, but.............. you should be able to drive with the bolt missing (if you have no other way (cheap way)) to get to a store.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
You could always buy some threaded rod and 2 nuts to make your own temporary bolt :undecided

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Do you guys have an Ace or True Value where you live or a small mom and pops harware store or auto parts. Sometimes the smaller guys have more. The local True Value by more than doubles the small bolt section than we do.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THANK YOU COMPNINE.COM. This is further proof that using the tools and resources made available by this site, there really is nothing that you can't find. With www.compnine.com, I was able to find the actual part # for this bolt!!

Part labeled #214.... GM Part #11519306 - BOLT,CYL HD(BOLT-HFH,M6X1X88.3,17 THD,14.2 OD,10.9,4435M,MACH,6194M,HDR-PT)

Called a dealer, found one that has 1 in stock! $7, but I get the ACTUAL bolt needed rather than searching online and waiting for delivery, using some make-shift bolt, or rethreading the casting.

WOOT!!!! TB should be 100% soon. Hopefully I can get there tonight!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
190 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Opted to pick up the bolt from the stealership.... $6.56.

Got it in, connected the battery, started her up! I will say, I have not really noticed any difference in how she runs... which I'm not concerned about. I just didn't want to get any more Random Misfire codes...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts