Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Checked everywhere and they all say that the length I need is different than the present length of mine. It actually looks like it has about a 12" blade. Even Auto Zone, who I usually trust recommended a 16" one which clearly would not work! Has anyone out there actually found one and replaced it. I hate to ask the dealer, you know how they charge!
:suicide:

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Worst case, just remove your old one, and take it into the store with you. Hold it up next to the new ones and find one that's the same length. Or go up to the counter and say "I need to replace this..." That should do the trick.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
82 Posts
I don't have an XUV but the correct length of the rear wiper blade is in your owner's manual. Look it up.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
341 Posts
the search function is your friend :D

FINALLY SOLVED!!!!!

First I would like to tank E-Iowa-O for breaking the ice on this and helping to bring the XUV rear wiper problem to solution. We do not need to pay a rip off price to get the Wiper Blade from GM. The Trico 12 A "Exact Fit" Rear Wiper Blade AUTO ZONE can be made to fit PERFECTLY with a simple 30 second modification.
[/IMG]

First I bought the wiper blade thinking it was so close I could install the blade. But GM was very crafty on this design and it will not fit.

Then using the information from E-Iowa-O I removed the blade from the vehicle and got it inside to work on it at room temperature. Here are the simple steps:

1. Remove the rubber insert from both the original GM and replacement Trico blade.

2. Lay them out on the table , you will notice that the 12" Trico is about 1/4" longer than the GM insert.
[/IMG]

3. Remover the steel supports from the GM insert. These will be reused. Remove the steel supports from the Trico insert. Discard.

4. Lay the old GM rubber insert and the new Trico side by side and cut the Trico to the same length as the GM rubber insert with a sharp knife.

5. Reinstall the Original GM supports to the new Trico rubber insert and install in the GM blade.
[/IMG]

You will notice there is quite a bit of cross car movement permitted of the insert in the blade when installed. This is necessary to let the blade make full contact with the backlite,

Works perfectly .
[/IMG]
Total cost $10. Could likely have been done for $2 if you can find just the rubber insert.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
12 Posts
Same for me. Just cut an old front blade and slid it in. Done and free. Screw GM with their high priced custom stuff. Owning an XUV requires some DYI and smarts to get things fixed without paying GM for all the custom stuff.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
:iagree:
I used that same fix a couple months ago, although I did not cut the new blade because it apeared to fit fine, possibly the OEM blade shrunk as it dried out and made it shorter.

Either way, it worked for me to transfer the metal strips to a new blade.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
71 Posts
On my 06 TB the problem has more to do with the spring or arm, than the blade. It just doesn't wipe but a few times then it smears and smudges and only clears a small area.

Is there a fix for this?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
That is usually a "sticky" spring hinge next to the Wiper Shaft. Closest to where the shaft comes out of the Liftgate, there is a hinge that is spring loaded to apply pressure on the wiper arm. usually that hinge gets stiff from corrosion and the spring can't overcome this stiffness. (note this happens mostly on non-plastic arms - even in the front)

To check for this, operate the wiper off of the park position and turn the vehicle off while it is on the glass area. Then pull the arm away from the window at the blade area and it should spring back toward the window, if it is stiff or sticks, this is your problem.

The fix that always works for me is to exercise this joint while applying WD-40 sparingly to the joint. It does not take a lot, sometimes it takes 5 minutes or so to get the WD-40 worked in. If this won't loosen the joint, then a new arm is due.

NOTE: be careful when you pull away from the glass, as some arms are not made to be pulled back very far and you don't want to over-stretch the spring or deform the arm.

Good luck

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
16 Posts
Just got an OEM replacement blade with insert from the dealership in Gilbert, AZ for just under $12. They checked and found it's used in almost a dozen different vehicles and there are plenty stocked in the system. An exact replacement!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
36 Posts
GMC ENVOY XUV rear wiper blade replacement

Just went to my local GMC dealer today (1-24-12) after I saw this thread, walked in, told the parts guy what I needed, and it was correct! That never happens with an XUV! The part number for the GMC ENVOY XUV rear wiper blade replacement is 15761901 and it cost $12.68 with tax. I previously used a wiper refill a year ago but it never contacted the rear glass correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
21 Posts
If anyone is still looking for a factory GMC wiper blade assembly for the rear window of their 2004-05 Envoy XUV, old part number 15761901 has been discontinued and has been replaced by 19239592. As of November, 2015 the cost from GMC dealers is $13.60.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts