Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall im new here and im trying to see if anyone can help. My father has a 07 enovy v6 and has a whining noise that ive figured is coming from the alternator. He purchased one online and it looks like a real pain in the butt to replace so im trying to find out if anyone can send me any pictures or literature on how to replace it or point me in the direction to find the info thanks.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,671 Posts
First off it's a I6 not a V6 engine.

The alternator is somewhat of a pain to do on these vehicles, but can be done. You have to remove the bracket in front of the alternator first and the bolt that holds the a/c line to that bracket. There are 2 bolts on the front of the bracket, and one on the side.

The alternator has 3 bolts IIRC, the one by the a/c hose is a real pain. About all you can do is get the right extensions, push down a little on the a/c hose to loosen this bolt. I found a 6 point socket worked the best. Some have said a universal joint would work better. I didn't try that.

Then you can move the alternator forward and undo one wiring harness - it just unclips, and a small nut that holds the thick battery wire. Then you have to turn the alternator and slide it past the fan shroud.

I think there are some photos on this forum somewhere - if I can find them I'll post a link to them.

BTW are you sure the whinning noise is coming from the alternator? The idler pulley and tensioner pulley are known to go bad and they are MUCH easier to replace (and a lot cheaper).

Rbarrios did a write up about how to replace the thermostat and in order to do that you have to remove the alternator.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=32326&highlight=thermostat
Some of his photos don't show up in the article, but you can go to his gallery and see them there. Click on the link below.

http://gallery.trailvoy.com/showgallery.php/cat/500/page/3/ppuser/19

See photos thermo4 to thermo8

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya i did a bunch of research and found that the idler pulley goes bad alot but i took a mechanics stethoscope and put it directly on the alternator with it running and i could hear it clear as day. then i took the belt off and spun the pully and it kept squeaking and making noise and the idler pulley didnt make any noise when i spun it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,269 Posts

by the thermo outlet- you can see the one wire that you have to remove the nut at the back of the alt. it has a rubber cover over it

·
Registered
2 Posts
whining noise

I was told by Firestone that the alternator was bad and needed replaced and that was the cause of the whining noise. Instead of spending almost $400 with Firestone i replaced the alternator myself. You are right about the bottom bolt. Great pain in the ass. After getting the new alternator installed i fired it up and I still have that annoying whine. Any other ideas from anyone?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
8,149 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat Fill out your User info so we know what you're driving. Both the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley make an annoying whine if the are bad. A lot easier and cheaper to replace than the alternator. Do a search for either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.