Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car's been sitting low; real low. (no pic yet) I know it's an air spring thing but wanted to get the specifics. So I went to my local dealership and they said I need knew springs and a new compressor for a total of $1500. No thank you. This forum has pointed me in several directions for alternatives.
My question is this: How many of you have gone with replacement air springs or in the alternative, switched to coils?

Follow ups: Can you state why you did either; is there a way to turn off the compressor if you switch to coils; what supplier did you use for your replacement parts and are you satisfied.

'02 Envoy 150k mi; probably never been replaced.

Thanks all.

·
Banned
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,253 Posts
My car's been sitting low; real low. (no pic yet) I know it's an air spring thing but wanted to get the specifics. So I went to my local dealership and they said I need knew springs and a new compressor for a total of $1500. No thank you. This forum has pointed me in several directions for alternatives.
My question is this: How many of you have gone with replacement air springs or in the alternative, switched to coils?

Follow ups: Can you state why you did either; is there a way to turn off the compressor if you switch to coils; what supplier did you use for your replacement parts and are you satisfied.

'02 Envoy 150k mi; probably never been replaced.

Thanks all.
Did your compressor fill the bags back up when you turned the truck on?

I replaced the bags when I lifted and put the z71 springs in.

When I pulled them out of my truck they were in good shape. They are solid and did not leak any air when I replaced them. You pay the shipping and they are yours. PM me if your interested in trying them.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

When I pulled them out of my truck they were in good shape. They are solid and did not leak any air when I replaced them. You pay the shipping and they are yours. PM me if your interested in trying them.
Thanks for the offer, but it's starting to sound like my compressor is about the bite the dust. It doesn't sound as strong as it did, oh I don't know, before I went to the dealership.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

just ordered the Z71 springs from ebay. Anyone know if they come with the rubber insulators or if I need them at all? if so where can i find them.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got the springs. waiting for the dealership to give me another rubber insulator. project start tomorrow and the bouncing stops. (hopefully). will post pics.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updated!!!

So I got the springs and the insulators and time. It was time to get started. Here's what I had:
Tahoe springs (z71?) from ebay- $50 + shipping
rubber insulators (x2) from dealership- $10

So step 1: jack it up as high as you can. used the jack that came with my voy and just turned it as much as I could on one side, put it on a jack stand and did it on the other side. had to lower it a little bit to the stands.

Step 2 (for me anyway): drop the spare tire. i got it out of the way to have more room to work with.

Step 3: unhook the shocks at the bottom. this will give you some extra inches when trying to put the coil springs in.

step 4: RIP OUT THE AIR SPRINGS. you have to turn them and disconnect the air lines. I just cut them.

Step 5: put the coil springs with rubber insulators between the axel and frame

step 6: reconnect the shocks and lower your trailvoy

step 7 (for me): pull the compressor fuse. I did this because my compressor is about to die anyway

I'm so happy to finally have this done. No more bouncing and bucking like a bronco. Plus the height is added bonus!:woohoo:

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
more pics

before and after

Thanks to: The Roadie for pointing me to the springs, gmac310 for the how to pics, and all Trailvoyers who posted their expeirences

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
Air Bag suspension problem

Hi i just like to ask if you still have your air bag suspension i would really like to buy it from you if you want to sell them because i have the same problem with air is leaking due to a cracked rubber and i really like to keep my air lift suspension.Thanks

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
520 Posts
Hi i just like to ask if you still have your air bag suspension i would really like to buy it from you if you want to sell them because i have the same problem with air is leaking due to a cracked rubber and i really like to keep my air lift suspension.Thanks
It looks like he cut open 1 of the bags.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
You can get Arnott replacement bags. They are purported to be of better quality and have some of the OEM bugs worked out. Plus they are pretty affordable.:m2:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
Replaced my air bags today... they were so rotted, Im amazed they held any air! There were some pretty big cracks in the rubber, not the usual small dry rot cracks you see.

Anyway, it was very easy to replace the bags.. 30 mins tops.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
Just replaced air shocks and compressor

Hello! This is my first post. Wish I had read some of yours earlier!

My 2002 Envoy was sitting very low - I took it to the dealer and they said the air shocks had "perforated and failed" - replacement at the dealership was $760. Within two weeks, the rear was sitting very low - this time they said I needed a new compressor installed ($800). Instead, I bought an Arnott compressor on-line to install at home for $300. The Envoy was so low, we couldn't even get a jack under it. Ended up taking it to a repair shop to have the compressor installed. The day of installation, I got a call saying "we replaced the compressor, aired the vehicle up, lowered it off the lift, and the rear air spring blew up and damaged the gas tank. You need a new gas tank and a new air spring" Estimate over $700. Later, they calmed down, re-installed the air spring which had blown completely off the car and all seems well. Anyone think the spring blew off because of improper installation at the dealership? Think I can get them to pay for the new gas tank? Your thoughts? Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
53 Posts
Hello! This is my first post. Wish I had read some of yours earlier!

My 2002 Envoy was sitting very low - I took it to the dealer and they said the air shocks had "perforated and failed" - replacement at the dealership was $760. Within two weeks, the rear was sitting very low - this time they said I needed a new compressor installed ($800). Instead, I bought an Arnott compressor on-line to install at home for $300. The Envoy was so low, we couldn't even get a jack under it. Ended up taking it to a repair shop to have the compressor installed. The day of installation, I got a call saying "we replaced the compressor, aired the vehicle up, lowered it off the lift, and the rear air spring blew up and damaged the gas tank. You need a new gas tank and a new air spring" Estimate over $700. Later, they calmed down, re-installed the air spring which had blown completely off the car and all seems well. Anyone think the spring blew off because of improper installation at the dealership? Think I can get them to pay for the new gas tank? Your thoughts? Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks!

Wow that's a horror story. First off 760 clams for a <$200 part and what most amatures on this site say is an hour job???!!! Just reinforces my thoughts on dealer ships. And if all your shop did was lift the car an put it down and the spring came off, I would have to say the dealer did not install properly. Of course they will deny it.

Thanks for the story.:duh:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
124 Posts
So I got the springs and the insulators and time. It was time to get started. Here's what I had:
Tahoe springs (z71?) from ebay- $50 + shipping
rubber insulators (x2) from dealership- $10

So step 1: jack it up as high as you can. used the jack that came with my voy and just turned it as much as I could on one side, put it on a jack stand and did it on the other side. had to lower it a little bit to the stands.

Step 2 (for me anyway): drop the spare tire. i got it out of the way to have more room to work with.

Step 3: unhook the shocks at the bottom. this will give you some extra inches when trying to put the coil springs in.

step 4: RIP OUT THE AIR SPRINGS. you have to turn them and disconnect the air lines. I just cut them.

Step 5: put the coil springs with rubber insulators between the axel and frame

step 6: reconnect the shocks and lower your trailvoy

step 7 (for me): pull the compressor fuse. I did this because my compressor is about to die anyway

I'm so happy to finally have this done. No more bouncing and bucking like a bronco. Plus the height is added bonus!:woohoo:
Hi, did you have to compress the springs to get them in? Is that step as dangerous and when doing the front springs?

Also, how is the ride after? Some people have reported it's still bouncy due to the vehicle being 'under shocked' or something.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi, did you have to compress the springs to get them in? Is that step as dangerous and when doing the front springs?

Also, how is the ride after? Some people have reported it's still bouncy due to the vehicle being 'under shocked' or something.
Haven't been on here in a while, so sorry for the year's delay.

I didn't have to compress the springs much because I disconnected the shocks which gave me enough room to maneuver them in there.

I didn't consider this a dangerous operation but I haven't done any front spring work.

The ride is no where near as bouncy as it was with busted bags. It's actually a little stiffer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts