Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to replace the ac belt? Man, that is way down there. I haven't inspected from the bottom but there is something blocking the access from underneath, I think.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The AC belt is basically the same as the front accessory belt, with a separate tensioner pulley.

You can do it from the top, but the front belt has to come off first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AC belt is basically the same as the front accessory belt, with a separate tensioner pulley.

You can do it from the top, but the front belt has to come off first.
Does the fan have to come out? that seems difficult and i've heard that the watter pump " that the fan is attached to " tends to fail soon after tampering with the fan.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
284 Posts
No, the fan does not have to come out.

As mentioned, there is a separate tentioner for the AC belt.

However, my personal experience is that the tentioner does not move all that much and it was hard to get the belt off. To get my OEM AC belt off, after removing the main belt, I had to remove the air cleaner assembly all the way to the throttle body, and remove the wiper fluid reservoir. After that, I was able to move the AC belt tentioner, slide the belt off the crank pully -sliding it toward the engine, then I was able to get the belt off the AC compressor.

Once I figured out how to get the belt off, putting the new one on was easy, simply reversing the steps.

To be honest, I moved the air cleaner and washer bottle mainly because I could not get at the right angle to see what I was doing. I probably would not do it that way again since now that I know that if you take it off the crank pulley first, it is a lot easier to do. Sometimes you live and learn.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the fan does not have to come out.

As mentioned, there is a separate tentioner for the AC belt.

However, my personal experience is that the tentioner does not move all that much and it was hard to get the belt off. To get my OEM AC belt off, after removing the main belt, I had to remove the air cleaner assembly all the way to the throttle body, and remove the wiper fluid reservoir. After that, I was able to move the AC belt tentioner, slide the belt off the crank pully -sliding it toward the engine, then I was able to get the belt off the AC compressor.

Once I figured out how to get the belt off, putting the new one on was easy, simply reversing the steps.

To be honest, I moved the air cleaner and washer bottle mainly because I could not get at the right angle to see what I was doing. I probably would not do it that way again since now that I know that if you take it off the crank pulley first, it is a lot easier to do. Sometimes you live and learn.
Listen to this... i did the water test to see which one was squeaking.. . it's the main belt. the one that i just replaced 1000 miles ago.. why so soon??

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
going to purchase one in a couple days... waiting on some money to fall off the tree. :(
Well you have reasonably priced options out there...pick your poison

RockAuto Parts

has GATES Part # 38159 for $27.99

or

gmpartsdirect

has GM PART # 12609719 for $43.35

or

Advance Auto Parts

Dayco part # 89253 for $36.99

Going local is best since then you wont have to pay shipping. You will also have to make sure you buy the correct tensioner to, so do your homework, take your time, and have fun working on your TrailVoy!

Another side note: easy way to make 100% sure it is that tensioner, is to have someone rev your motor up and down while your looking at the tensioner. A weak tensioner will move with the rev of the motor quite easily. Make sure your helper has one foot on brake and transmission in PARK!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put the main tensioner on, it still squeaked. After an hour of forcing, I put on a new AC belt.... IT STILL SQUEAKS! I'm $100 and several hours in to this and it's still squeaking.... what next?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
There is a lower A/C belt tensioner that will also squeak when the bearing goes dry...
It's pretty cheap, however doesn't look to easy to get to. But possible!

looks like:

Mine squeaks from time to time down there...I'll probably replace it when it squeaks constantly.

Hang in there man you've almost got it fixed up!

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
651 Posts
What about the idler pulleys?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a lower A/C belt tensioner that will also squeak when the bearing goes dry...
It's pretty cheap, however doesn't look to easy to get to. But possible!

Mine squeaks from time to time down there...I'll probably replace it when it squeaks constantly.

Hang in there man you've almost got it fixed up!
What about the idler pulleys?
Is there ANY way to test? I can't keep buying parts. :confused:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
Pick up a can of LPS 1 from store of your choice. Look underneath to locate the lower A/C tensioner.
Then while motor is running lightly spray the LPS 1 on the middle part of the bearing.
If the squeak is there it will stop. If the squeak does not stop, then move on to another pulley and lightly spray in the middle to rule out all pulleys, one by one.

LPS 1 is a better choice than LPS 2 in this application. 1 is the same as 2 only much lighter in weight.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN THE MOTOR IS RUNNING!

what brand belts did you install?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
oh ok. typically the brand of choice is Gatorback.

did you read my above suggestion? when your ready to do it....reply here and I'll be ready to help you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sprayed the ac tensioner pully, the alternator, and the idler pully. The squeak never stopped. The main auto tensioner is new so it was not sprayed. My clutch fan was replaced a couple weeks ago, i'm going to guess it's a bad water pump?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
yeah...since thats all thats left that could possibly cause a squeal...

you'l have a new truck by the time your done!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I give up on it. I'm taking it to a mechanic on Monday. Hope things don't go too bad. Thanks for all the help. I did way more to my truck than I would have without your tips. :thx

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
102 Posts
I give up on it. I'm taking it to a mechanic on Monday. Hope things don't go too bad. Thanks for all the help. I did way more to my truck than I would have without your tips. :thx
Keep us posted on the actual repair they do.......this way in case other members who have the same problem as you did will find a possible fix here.

We are always glad to help each other out!

Hopefully it wont be such an expensive repair.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts