Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if you can help, my daughter just bought a 2004 Envoy and we have since found that the DIC is not working!! Should have checked more thouroughly!! I got some Techie help and have so far confirmed that the wiring to and from the steering wheel is sound, I have +12v at the lower steering wheel connector (on the appropriate pin outs) that drops to ground when the steering wheel buttons are pushed. I am now advised that the problem is internal to the cluster and it probably needs replacing? I have read several threads here about adding the DIC function but few if any, mention whether the cluster had to be re-programmed and what was involved in doing that? I am told you CAN NOT re-program a Cluster from a wreck so you should buy a Refurb and then do the install at the dealers as you may not be able to star the vehicle until the re-pro is completed.

ANY IDEAS on my best next step and what is reality when it comes to replacing the cluster?

:confused::bonk:

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
AFAIK, you can run the vehicle with the cluster out. Send it to the Ebay vendor who fixes stepper problems for about $90. Not sure what he charges to fix a dark DIC. I think the DEALER can't configure them but authorized service depots can.

If this link doesn't work, just search Ebay for "trailblazer gauge repair"

· JeTTTstream Automotive Technologies
2007 chevy
645 Posts
US Speedo is a vendor on this board, as well as I'm a dealer for them too.

Regardless,

1. You can run the truck w/o a cluster yes.

2. I'm not sure what they would charge, but they are top notch, and a vendor like I said.

feel free to PM me if I can help I will.

www.usspeedo.com

-Mike

· Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,864 Posts
The dealer cannot reprogram mileage unless the cluster is "new" and setup where the mileage and engine hours can be programmed. The mileage cannot be changed on a used cluster by a dealer, which is obviously an effort to prevent odometer fraud. If you go to the dealer for a replacement cluster, I believe the cluster is about $275 + 1.5 hours or so for install and programming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.