Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The catalytic converter(s) on my 2004 Trailblazer EXT have started rattling, with the associated loss in power. It appears that both cats are part of an entire y-pipe arrangement, apparently made of solid gold/platinum based on the estimate to replace :worried:

Has anyone found a direct-fit replacement for the 5.3L, or even universal cats that will work for our application? $1500 is just a little too much to spend right now ...

Thanks,
KevinH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately it's at a little over 85K right now, so GM isn't willing to provide any assistance on the repair. Surprisingly, however, the dealership provided the best quote I've gotten ... although it would still be ~$900.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
213 Posts
Depending on the placement of the cats, a universal might not work. Some shops might also not want to do that. You could ask a shop if they will/can install a universal cat on there. Where I used to work, we would do that quite often and save the customer a lot of money (typically cut the old one out at the weld of the cat, cut ends of cat to specified length, weld new cat up). We were using Catco universal catalytic converters. It would be a matter of just cross referencing the cat part number needed and placement of the cat if it is possible to do. If it is possible, you may only have to replace 1 cat (if the other one is not causing any issues).

If the 04 is the same as the 03. What about here?

118.80 plus shipping and labor to weld up.
http://www.autocom.com/prod_1917967.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link! I couldn't find any listing for the 2004 (5.3L) on Magnaflow's site when I checked yesterday, but you're probably correct that the 2003 could be the same ... it's a reasonable assumption at least.

I'll compare measurements and see how things look.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Banned
17 Posts
There are 2 options:
Universal CAT or Bolt On.

I went with the bolt on since I didnt want to take it somewhere to weld.

Cost to weld in my area is roughly $50 a weld. So you need two welds, plus chopping off the old, so allow $130ish for that, plus the 70-90 for the CAT.

This is the reason I went bolt on. Do in the driveway on ramps or stands.

Napa and O'Riley's has bolt on. I have not seen the NAPA, but think it is a 'Walker' brand also.

As for performance, the Walker brand is not mandrel bent, meaning the pipe has ripples in it due to the bend, this ripples in the bends make for less efficient flow. So if your going for performance, use stock pipe, cut out CAT, weld in new.

If your looking for easy, go bolt on. Think the cost was shipped to local store for just under $300 bucks.

Edit: I have the I6 so your mileage and cost may vary.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks for the link! I couldn't find any listing for the 2004 (5.3L) on Magnaflow's site when I checked yesterday, but you're probably correct that the 2003 could be the same ... it's a reasonable assumption at least.

I'll compare measurements and see how things look.

Thanks,
Kevin

Any update on this?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
interesting post.
After 7 yrs of owning my TB--- I finally got a renewal notice that requires a Smog Check....
A CALIFORNIA smog check...
With 147,000 miles- Im wondering how tired the CAT is.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
yesterday in the city- saw sings- survey ahead.
rt lane blocked by CHP unit- and cones.
on front of unit was a tent and mobile rollers... several techs and their computers.
They had a Trailblazer on the rollers.... and a large fan blowing air at the radiator.
they were doing rolling test on the Trailblazer...
Im guessing they are randomly stopping vehicles and testing their emissions...
Signs said survey ahead... so I dont know if they were being ticketed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That's crazy. They are all worried about emissions yet they just created a traffic jam and distraction which will cause more emissions to be put into the air (traffic jam) and probably an accident or 2 (distractions). lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.