Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hissy: I spent the last two hours sweating my brains out replacing the front swaybar links. Thanks to PA road salt, it made it really fun to take the 8 bolts off required for this! The reason i wanted to replace these was because the front end creaks every time the suspension moves, especially when the brakes are on. I previously have had the ball joints and strut mounts replaced thinking they were the problem. But obviously they weren't.

So i bought the Moog replacements and installed them. I was really excited when i found out on here that the noise was caused by bad sway bar links. But it STILL does it after i replaced them. I also checked the sway bar bushings and they were fine! I am at my wits end with this. My mechanic says that he can't find anything wrong with and that this is just a normal noise!!:confused::confused:

If anyone could please help me out, i would greatly appreciate it!!:hail:

Vehicle: 03 trailblazer 4x4 with 79k.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Sway bar end links usually cause a clinking sound (due to looseness in joints). A creaking sound can usually be traced to a dry bushing in a control arm. Spraying with a lub will sometimes stop it for a while, but usually the control arm has to come out.

There are other things of course, hood stops are common. They're on the outer front corners.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Are you sure you replaced the end links? Normally, it's just 4 nuts you have to remove(two on each end link), not 8 bolts. End links are normally associated with clunking noise, especially over bumps or potholes/depressions in the road. Check your fender lining. Mine made a creaking noise ever so often and it bugged the hell out of me. Turned out that a push clip used to hold the front part of the fender lining in place was missing. I just zip tied it and noise vanished. Or could be what rayvoy suggested...a dry bushing in the control arm or hood adjustment.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for replying. Let me clarify, i took the entire sway bar off to make it easier. Yes two bolts for each link and four to hold sway bar to vehicle.

It does sound like it be the control arm, when i was under there it seemed very rusty and corroded :hopeless. Its horrible what salt does to vehicles, i wish they would stop using it.
I will try spraying it on Tuesday and see if it helps.

If anyone else has some suggestions, feel free.

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
269 Posts
I had the same creaking sound, especially when braking and letting off the brakes, spray lubed everything under there one at a time and finally found the culprit. under the front bumper cover is a styrofoam block so it keeps its shape( at least thats what I think it is there for) ......I guess as a result of someone backing in to me or me tapping someone in front of me the foam block rubs against the frame underneath it ,,, I took off the grill and trimmed the foam away from the frame and no more creaking

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I had the same creaking sound, especially when braking and letting off the brakes, spray lubed everything under there one at a time and finally found the culprit. under the front bumper cover is a styrofoam block so it keeps its shape( at least thats what I think it is there for) ......I guess as a result of someone backing in to me or me tapping someone in front of me the foam block rubs against the frame underneath it ,,, I took off the grill and trimmed the foam away from the frame and no more creaking
That Styrofoam block is pretty much the bumper. It is actually the energy absorbing part of the bumper. The part you see is just the cover.:m2:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
great guys thanks a lot. I will check them out tommorrow. I don't think its the styrofoam. Its more more of a metallic creak.

thanks again for the advice :cool:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
426 Posts
100 percent lower control arm bushing!

did the same exact shyt you did. everyone was telling me it was the sway bar and the bushings, got them changed but still had the noise.

then someone told me about the control arm bushings so i took some wd-40 and sprayed them and sure enough the noise was gone.

every few weeks I'll spray them.

the funny thing is they don't make a $10 bushing that you can just pop out, you got to buy the whole A frame bracket, which is costly.

I'm about to put new shocks on soon, so I'm thinking about removing the A frame a little bit to get some grease in the bushings then get an alignment and hopefully it will go away for good.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya i took some wd40 and sprayed them today. the noise seemed to go away somewhat. I am going to take the wheels off this weekend and try to get some grease on them.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I should have thought of this myself, but i figured maybe there is something that i don't know about. :undecided

Replacing these will have to go on the list for future repairs :coffee

Later:cool:

·
Registered
2004 isuzu ascender
47 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of what/where the lower control arm bushings are? I haven't spent a lot of time under my car, so I'm not very familiar with what I'm looking at. Any help for me to find them and see if that fixes the creaking I'm hearing would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Rob :thx

EDIT:

Found a thread after some searching. Here it is if anyone else is interested...
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=48092&highlight=lower+control+arm+bushing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts