Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
Sorry to be a help mooch for my first post, but I'm pooped on this matter.

My vehicle
'04 4.2L TB EXT

Spent the day replacing the pads and rotors all the way around with the Autozone Duralast Gold products. Used the brake grease stuff on the pads and bled the system. All seemed well.

Took it on the test run and it sound like the pads were stuck and squealing, but did not think much of it since they were new. Proceeding with beding the brakes and finished that and noticed no difference. Got home and my fronts were smoking.

They squeal fairly bad while driving and I was curious if anyone had any thoughts? Brake fluid levels are fine, pedal feels fine and the vehicle stops hard enough for ABS to kick in. Should I just chill and see what happens when the wear in a bit more?

Any help is appreciated.

Take care,
Ceyko

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
183 Posts
Didi you use some brake cleaner on the new rotors before installing them?? They usually are packed in oil to keep them from rusting while they sit on a shelf.:ugh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didi you use some brake cleaner on the new rotors before installing them?? They usually are packed in oil to keep them from rusting while they sit on a shelf.:ugh:
Yeah I soaked them up pretty good out of paranoia (I rather over do things so problems like this don't occur. :)). Just took it on another test run and everything seems fine 'cept the smoke (but no real odor to it) and the terrible noise. Almost seems metal on metalish, but I double checked and I did not put anything on backward.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've seen this before, usually caused by the oil in the veins burning off, as for the noise??? My best guess would be to drive it for a bit more to see if it's just the pads setting to the rotors. The only other thing you can check is to see if the pads are dragging on the rotor instead of being seated in the caliper bracket. Sometimes these areas wear down and require spacers or shims to take up the slack. An easy way to check, is to take out the pads and look for contact wear on the backing plates.:m2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen this before, usually caused by the oil in the veins burning off, as for the noise??? My best guess would be to drive it for a bit more to see if it's just the pads setting to the rotors. The only other thing you can check is to see if the pads are dragging on the rotor instead of being seated in the caliper bracket. Sometimes these areas wear down and require spacers or shims to take up the slack. An easy way to check, is to take out the pads and look for contact wear on the backing plates.:m2:
Greetings,
I REALLY appreciate the response and suggestions. While I think I understand what you're saying about pads dragging on the rotor, I don't fully understand how to install a spacer/shim to resolve that. Or you indicating that for some reason one side or the other is not centered properly and that one side is dragging?

Veins? Ya know, could be. I did douse the front backs - but did not think about oil in the veins. THAT makes sense - since I've autox'ed and know what brakes smell like. :D

Again, thank you.

Take care,
Ceyko

·
Registered
183 Posts
The "shims" are stainless steal "pieces" that can be installed on the contact point of the new brake pad to compensate for wear. In some high end brake pads they come in a little bag and each spacer is marked with a spacer number.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
googled them and I think this kit came with them and I installed all 8 (2 per pad, 4 pads for the front) The old sets seemed like they only had 4 total installed. May need to check into that tomorrow.

Thank you,

·
Registered
183 Posts
You may want to check to see if they are contacting the rotor. That may be the cause of the noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may want to check to see if they are contacting the rotor. That may be the cause of the noise.
Will do a definetly worth a shot, gonna get more brake lube stuff too and go to twon with it. You may very well be right cause one of the pitches sounds like brakes that are almost worn out (that tab)...now that I think about it.

Anyway, I shall find out tomorrow and post up if I get it fixed - incase anyone else has the same issue...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think your issue is with the Autozone parts.. The one thing I never buy is brakes from Autozone they are always crap. No quality control what so ever..
So, yeah I was googling the autozone/duralast brakes and I'm getting mixed reviews and wishing I just bought OEM from Chevrolet.

Still, it's what I got and gotta make it work. I could not detect any major issues with them until trying to drive with em. :) Not Brembos or anything, but hell - they seemed as good as OEM, fit well..etc. Had high hopes for a day of beer drinking and polishing cars tomorrow...nope.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
brake pads won't make noise on the rotor. Either the shims are slightly off and hitting the rotor or the pads fit in the shims real loose and the mounting ears are sliding back and forth within the bracket and making a ruckus. Mine didthe first time around. It turned out to be loose pads. I disassembled them and bent the shims to hug the pads better and the noise went away.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
brake pads won't make noise on the rotor. Either the shims are slightly off and hitting the rotor or the pads fit in the shims real loose and the mounting ears are sliding back and forth within the bracket and making a ruckus. Mine didthe first time around. It turned out to be loose pads. I disassembled them and bent the shims to hug the pads better and the noise went away.
:iagree: But smoke is a bad thing when you are not applying the brakes. Is the rotor getting hot along with the smoke? When you jack up the vehicle is it really hard to spin the wheel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All,
I wanted to that yall and specifically fifields and LMMJ for getting me on the right track.

So, I'm still not 100% sure what parts are called what parts. But in the caliper where the pads slide into...those thing metal parts - that's where the probem was at....

the 4 centerish things on this HW part kit...

Autozone Link

Anyway, it was not centered. It scored one of the rotors, which of course boogered up a pad a little but not even enough to really feel it with a fingernail.

So, I realized I forgot to do the one main darn thing that I usually do. I did not spin the rotor by hand after installation. Had I done that simple step it would've been obvious.

Well, otherwise just gotta fix my e-brake adjustment and that'll be done. I think I may need to tweak something in a couple of weeks but for now it is good to go.

Thanks a million - much appreciated. :tiphat Although it was dumb mistake on my part, I was confident I did it all right and probably would've been trying to think of something overly complicated.

Take care,
Ceyko

:thx

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:iagree: But smoke is a bad thing when you are not applying the brakes. Is the rotor getting hot along with the smoke? When you jack up the vehicle is it really hard to spin the wheel?
Oh, as for this I either slacked or otherwise did not get all the oil off. :duh: That was a one time smoke session that has not happened since.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... did not get all the oil off.
All the brake work tutorials I've ever read say NEVER get contamination (oil, brake fluid, snot) on the pads or rotors. How much reading did you do before jumping in?

Brake work is one place where I spend three times as long inspecting my work as I do DOING the work. The penalty for messing up can be death. That gets my attention, and it should get yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All the brake work tutorials I've ever read say NEVER get contamination (oil, brake fluid, snot) on the pads or rotors. How much reading did you do before jumping in?

Brake work is one place where I spend three times as long inspecting my work as I do DOING the work. The penalty for messing up can be death. That gets my attention, and it should get yours.
So, this is the first time I've had an issue doing brake work. Oil I was referring to is the stuff they ship on it. Apparently I did not get it all off, even though I could've sworn I even ran brake cleaner over it after completion to remove my hand grime.

I did not get anything like motor oil on 'em or anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.