Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all 4 brake rotors and pads on my mom's '02 trailblazer. After getting everything back together and going for a test drive, the driver rear brake area is making a rubbing noise which is very rhythmic and constant at low speed. When turning it gets worse, and at 40+mph going straight it seems to go away. Thought it could be a faulty rotor so replaced it to find out that was not the problem. Nothing is smoking or anything and the car pulls itself at idle, so I don't believe it's the caliper either...I would assume a sticky caliper would have a more constant grind rather than a rhythmic rub anyway. Please help! Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
I am having this issue as well and I replaced all rotors and pads, along with the u-joints. I have a felling it may have to do with the emergency braking system inside of the rotor. I am going to bring it in sometime this week to have it looked at. Let me know if you find out what the issue is.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
1 Posts
Sounds like the backing plates may be rubbing. Rears are notorious for rusting and falling apart. Fronts can be bumped and bent when working underneath. (I've been fighting noise from both ends.)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
73 Posts
The actual issue is that on the back brakes of these cars there is disc brakes, but there is also the parking brake. It pushes on the inside of the rotor. It is kinda like a necklace looking ring. The open, top part of the "necklace" slides into little slots, BUT there is also a bottom bracket that holds the bottom of the necklace. You must slip the bottom of the necklace up, so that little bracket can hold it. Remember to keep the top in its slots at the same time. Now put your rotor back on and finish your work.

The sound that your hearing, is that ring has come off and is rolling around inside the rotor.

A test that the "necklace" is not right,..if you can pull the bottom of it out and shake it around, it is not connected correctly. Slide the bottom up. You get down and look up and see the bracket that it needs to slide in to. Hope this helps someone.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
It sounds like the backing plate(dust shield).you can jack up the truck and in neutral,turn the tires from underneath and see where it is hitting and bend it out but it could be rusting out and a piece is laying in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts