Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
1 Posts
Had to remove alt as well!

Recently got the P0128 code and so at 116K decided to change the dex-cool as well as the tstat. I have a 2004 Envoy XUV and tried to go through the wheel well but as the last poster said found that the top bolt was not possible since the alt posed too much interference. Wasted some time and should have unbolted the alt from the start it would have made getting the hose clamp off easier. The old dex-cool looked great as did the radiator and block. The first step was to remove the bottom hose from the radiator and to drain the system. The block did drain through the old tstat although it was slow. I then refilled with distilled water and did this twice at which point the drain was pretty much clear water. Found that draining while the engine was hot worked best (my coolant temp was probably only 150 or less since the old tstat was opeing too soon or wasn't closing all the way. I then replaced the tstat and replaced the hoses and used screw clamps. Once the alt was removed getting to the bolts from under the wheel well worked great. I would suggest having a magnetic stick to grab the screws and I also should have worn a long sleave shirt. I was able to drain the overflow tank by removing the hose from the radiator and lowered down so that the fluid drained out and flushed with distilled water and then filled with 50/50 mix of dex-cool and distilled water. Found the dex-cool conc for $14.27 at wally world. Oh also, a short combination 15mm wrench worked good to get the bottom bolt out of the alt although I ended up using a pry bar to slightly move the ac line to get the bolt back started on reassembly.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
You're welcome

Folks, I am so glad this post continues to help my fellow homies time and time again. It is nice to be able to pay back and contribute to our love of these vehicles. Sadly, I finally sold my '03 TB a few months ago, but only after running the odometer to over 260K miles!! I only sold it because it was in good running order, and I wanted to get a little $$$ on it before anything starting going wrong. Now I am in the market for my next SUV, and not surprisingly, I am seriously considering another TB EXT if I find one in good condition with low miles. :tiphat

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1 Posts
Had to change T-stat on wife trailblazer tonight, great write up and pictures. still stinks you have to loose that much coolant I even drained some from lower radiator hose and still ended up with alot in catch can still put fresh in though since I don't know what it mixed with on way out. took about 2 hours. Wish engineers would go to the old fashion way with 2 bolts take housing off and pull out the old and drop in the new. Or like in my Pontiac Fiero is take radiator cap off pull out T-stat and drop in the new and put cap back on. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
18 Posts
I'm going to tackle the coolant temp sensor, T-stat and water pump at the same time this weekend. This site provides great directions and advice as long as you follow closely. Here goes nothing... but a great job when i'm done.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
18 Posts
Well I used the helpful directions from these forums and replaced my coolant temp sensor, T-stat and water pump at the same time this weekend. This site provides great directions and advice as long as you follow closely. I found the hardest thing to remove was the fan and shroud but with a little, ok lots of effort It came out and the rest was a breeze. Thank you guys for all the great help.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xl
2 Posts
Thank you all!

Thank you all for your help on here. Holy cow, I would never have figured this out without you. Replaced the tstat and sensor, have the arm carnage to show for it, and the Envoy is running better than ever. It is amazing how a small part can really mess up a lot of things.

Getting that alternator out was the toughest part. You would think they'd find a way to make the fan/shroud somewhat less sharp. I have steak knives duller than that thing!:thx:woohoo:

101 - 108 of 108 Posts