Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
106 Posts
Sorry to hear your fuel cap comes off. I read earlier of some tsb's and repairs but have gotten used to filling on slow for my last estimated 2 gallons to prevent fuel burp and gas smell.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
194 Posts
I concur, nice write up. [begin sarcasm] I sure am glad GM didn't make it too difficult to change out the thermostat. [/end sarcasm] :laugh:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
Changed Thermostat...now no air comes out of dash vents aghhh!!

Hey! Love the strap idea! I invested in a set of gear wrenches after that bottom alternator bolt stumped me. Soo...now I have another problem. I took my battery completely out (to get more working room) for the thermostat replacement...now, I'm not getting any air flow out of my dash vents (which sucks!) Any thoughts / solutions would be much appreciated!!:confused:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
106 Posts
See previous post regarding computer tender, it is not uncommon. You may be lucky and only a reset of the computer is needed, but it seems many have had to replace the actuators. I don't know if someone has found a better answer but I would make sure ac and defrost are off before I reset the computer. I might even run it a day or so with them off. Let us know how it works, and search the other posts possibly for a better answer.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone! I am glad the write-up was helpful.
Since posting this, I am now just shy of 180K and no other problems so far. I did not have any issues with A/C or anthing else after replacing the thermostat, so unfortunately I can't help with any of that. My next expense will be new tires this weekend. I could not be happier with my TB!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
13 Posts
Thermostat replacement 2004 TB Ext

Well, armed with the photos and the knowledge provided by this forum we tackled the thermostat and other things on my TB. 5 hours later the thermostat was done. My dad used to say engineers should be shot if they can't design a machine that can be fixed easily. Well folks whoever designed this system needs shot! The bolts to the thermostat were easy to take out through the fender, but the alternator had to come out to get the hose off. To do that you have to remove 3 5mm bolts that are 6-7" long. BUT on the EXT the transmission cooling line and air conditioning lines are in the way and the bottom bolt is a bitch to remove and re-install. Not to mention that we spent an hour looking for a lost bolt and socket that fell because everything is so tight.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
This looks to be a project in the near future for me. My Envoy threw the check engine light at me yesterday, so I took it to the local Advanced and, while they didn't tell which codes they were, he told me what they meant. Either low coolant (there was plenty in the reservoir) or the thermostat was on it's last leg.

Any parts houses I need to stay away from?

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
This looks to be a project in the near future for me. My Envoy threw the check engine light at me yesterday, so I took it to the local Advanced and, while they didn't tell which codes they were, he told me what they meant. Either low coolant (there was plenty in the reservoir) or the thermostat was on it's last leg.

Do the Censor too!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Advanced, who is so cagy they won't tell you the code. :confused:

Code readers can be cheap, and I recommend everybody (or group of friends) has one. If you have an Android phone, the low-cost Torque app can run with a $20 bluetooth obdii transmitter.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Don't have a cell, but I would like to have a code reader.

I finally got my t-stat in about an hour ago. Make sure you check to make sure your new one has a check valve(?), 'cause mine didn't. Had to go back and get another one.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
84 Posts
Starting this job tonight, hopefully with this article it will make the job a little easier......great idea on using the wratchet strap for the AC line! :yes:

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Any link to this item? very interested.
EZ Red ms4000 - works great but only works through obd2

http://www.amazon.com/Z-EZRMS4000-Automotive-Presets-Computer/dp/B000J4JCL0

OTC 3177A - more versatile with the obd2 connector as well a cig lighter adapter for pre obd2 vehicles - note: this one blew the adapters cig lighter fuse two times (even though key off/timed out load was under 5A in each case)...the first time I lost a half hour getting a GM vehicle to relearn idle, the second time I lost about the same getting a radio code from my local honda dealer

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-3177A-Professional-Memory-Saver/dp/B004FZ9FWK

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
84 Posts
OK so just finished mine last night, wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.....only a scrapped thumb :duh: I found a trick that worked for me with the bottom thrird bolt, I took a smaller sized 18mm wrench and side a rowing moting in between the fan flades. Took the top two bolts off first and it was able to lean the alt forward and wiggle it out once the bolt was unscrewed. It alos made it easy to keep the bolt in the alt and then move it out enough past the AC lines to pull it out completely....same thing in reverse for install, place the bottom bolt in first, then lide it down into the engine bay....

21 - 40 of 108 Posts