Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced the fan clutch this past weekend and everything seems to be running fine. The dealership, however, insists that i must have the software updated on the vehicle in order for the fan to work properly since my envoy is a 2002. So i went to the dealership yesterday and they said they hooked the machine up 3 different times and my truck wouldn't take the code. They said that they think that my pcm is going bad or else there is a ground loose somewhere.....but said that they really didn't know what the deal was and it would most likely be labor intensive to fix....and still charged my $87 for basically doing nothing.

So my question is......what would happen if i just never got the updated software? I searched and it seems like this update is somewhat important....but im not paying those bastards $500 to find a disconnected ground somewhere on my truck. Ive been listening to the fan and it sounds like its working when it's supposed to...but my buddy said something about the fan also possibly helping to relieve pressure in the ac system during stop and go and idle traffic? Is this true? I'm thinking about just letting the update slide....but i dont want to blow an ac hose or something in the process...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
from what Ive read..

you can replace the fan clutch only.

The software update was to help improve AC operation during slow speed or stuck in traffic type conditions were many people complained the air was not cold-- or not cold enough.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
84 Posts
I had my fan clutch replaced about 2 months ago in an attempt to get my AC working properly again. I haven't had the PCM updated and I have not had any problems with the AC not cooling in traffic or while idling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.