Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
This is another one of them "Why did they do that " moments. The light is made into the plastic housing that goes all the way across so to replace it you have to buy the whole assembly and have it painted to match the color of the body. On the 2002's they used a neon tube which is not available anymore and is replace with an LED tube. You can search on here for some alternatives people have done like cutting the tube out and replacing it with an LED strip.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
This is another one of them "Why did they do that " moments. The light is made into the plastic housing that goes all the way across so to replace it you have to buy the whole assembly and have it painted to match the color of the body. On the 2002's they used a neon tube which is not available anymore and is replace with an LED tube. You can search on here for some alternatives people have done like cutting the tube out and replacing it with an LED strip.

Uhh no you dont..:weird: you can buy just the brake light itself.. I swapped my neon version for a newer LED version from the scrapyard for $20..

fit like a glove and no problems

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow! I just pulled it out. It only took 5 minutes, but it's completely sealed so there doesn't seem to be a way to fix/replace the element. $200.00, ouch! I restore old muscle cars and I like them because you can actually fix things.

I have the old light package out. Is there anything I can do except for make an ashtray?

What year did the new LED elements start?

Thanks
CB

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Wow! I just pulled it out. It only took 5 minutes, but it's completely sealed so there doesn't seem to be a way to fix/replace the element. $200.00, ouch! I restore old muscle cars and I like them because you can actually fix things.

I have the old light package out. Is there anything I can do except for make an ashtray?

What year did the new LED elements start?

Thanks
CB
2004.. I got mine out of a wrecked 05 at the scrapyard for $20.. works fine and looks spotless

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I was told that the LED was in the 03's because when i gave the dealer my vin they said it was going to be expensive because mine was LED but none the less it sucks that they're so expensive :hissy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks....

Thanks everyone. I googled this and found step by step removal/installation instructions from the justanswer.com site. I'm attaching it.:tiphat
Thanks for the post Hack.... The instructions were very helpful. :thumbsup: I just did this swap today. Only wish I'd have found this site BEFORE I bought the replacement unit. Perhaps I could have modded it to LED instead....:yes:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4 Posts
Molding may need to be replaced?

Mine is a 2002 TB LTZ. Dealer quotes part 15201921 for $209.37. Then says there is a note on the part saying the molding may need to be replaced at a cost of $300, if 2003 or earlier :bonk:. I see the same part on ebay for $108. Is it true about the molding?

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Mine is a 2002 TB LTZ. Dealer quotes part 15201921 for $209.37. Then says there is a note on the part saying the molding may need to be replaced at a cost of $300, if 2003 or earlier :bonk:. I see the same part on ebay for $108. Is it true about the molding?
Is any of the plastic that connects to the brake light on your truck broken or cracked? Usually this is the reason you have to replace that molding that surrounds the brake light, so you can attach the light to it. If the light is out, but the mounting points are still intact, then you should be good to go.

Slightly off topic, some of us have changed our 3rd brake light, with some slight modding, to the LED Avalanche 3rd brake light. (can be found on Ebay as well) If you can splice some wiring together, then you can replace your light for even cheaper than $100

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4 Posts
Is any of the plastic that connects to the brake light on your truck broken or cracked? Usually this is the reason you have to replace that molding that surrounds the brake light, so you can attach the light to it. If the light is out, but the mounting points are still intact, then you should be good to go.
I haven't removed the unit to know the condition of the molding but looked ok by sight. Perhaps that is why the parts note said "may". I would be satisfied if this can be done for $108. The retrofitted LED using the existing unit and posted elsewhere on trailvoy is impressive but seems like quite a project.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts