Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my rear rotors today and noticed the rear brake shields (or dust shield, whichever) are completely rotted away. In fact when I would the rotor back on one wheel when I went for a rest drive was making wooshing noise from the rust making contact with the new rotor. So i chipped away at it and so far no more noise but they need to be replaced.

Soooo my question is:

I need to remove the rear wheel bearing to get access to it. Im guessing that means remove it from the axle somehow... but how? how should I go about removing that. does it need to be pressed out or is it the 4 main bolts just holding it in

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The bearing and seal can remain in place, but you need to remove the axle to get to the backing plate and its four nuts. Removing the axle involves the traditional c-clips on the inside of the shaft, inside the differential case. I've never done that project, but I suspect if I was faced with it, I'd just pop rivet some 1/8" Lexan to what remains of the shields. And move away from the salty roads that rotted them out. :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts