Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever replaced their radiator? It looks like mine is due, and it looks like it will be quite a task to get the thing out. I just wondered how big of a job it is.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
what is up with the lacks of threads on replacing radiators???? i have tried the search and only found a couple but they arent very descriptive. can anyone post a link on how to do this?

thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
Has anyone here ever replaced their radiator? It looks like mine is due, and it looks like it will be quite a task to get the thing out. I just wondered how big of a job it is.
What makes you think you need to replace your radiator?

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
What makes you think you need to replace your radiator?

-- Dan Meyer :coffee
mine looks like its leaking where the metal connects to the plastic on the bottom of the rad on the drivers side. i tried searching this but i havent seen anything posted about this. im sure someone else has had this problem already

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
It could be the bottom gasket is leaking. That would be a lot cheaper to replace than the entire radiator. Item 7 in the diagram includes the gasket. I assume you could by the gasket separately.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
It could be the bottom gasket is leaking. That would be a lot cheaper to replace than the entire radiator. Item 7 in the diagram includes the gasket. I assume you could by the gasket separately.
I called a radiator shop. They do not recommend replacing the tank because it is half the price of a new one. It also takes special tools to crimp the tank.

I am in the same boat with an upper tank leak. $180 for a new one.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
21 Posts
Replaced Radiator

I just did mine with a Delphi radiator from Advance Auto $200 with tax. It takes a 10mm wrench for the main bolts on the batter cover and trim as well as the bolts holding the fan shroud and ac to the radiator. *** Use a fine point needle nose plier to remove the retainer clips for the transmission cooler, DO NOT TAKE THOSE BOLTS OUT THEY ARE A PAIN *** The clips allow you to pull out the lines without too much drama. They will leak so get the job done or buy some more Dextron 6 and refill it when you are done. Be sure to keep the bolts identified and or separated. Then a 13mm socket for the cross member and the bolt that holds the hood latch in place. The only other items needed are some zip ties to hold the ac condenser up off of the radiator your are removing (zip tie to the hood prop rod on one side and the bolt hole for the cross member on the other side) This will keep you from fighting with the condenser as you remove the radiator. The fan shroud is a minor pain but once you get the lower radiator port out of the way. It just needs a little finese and it will come out just fine. reverse the process and fill up the radiator and transmission if needed. It takes a couple of hours but it is worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts