Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am forced to get a new engine, and we were going with a Jasper 4200. I was trying to find specs on the new engine but was unable to. Anyone know how they compare to the OEM 4200? I have a 2006 Envoy. I assume it till be atleast what the OEM engine was but I was hoping it was going to be a little more powerfull.

Thanks as always.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
88 Posts
What is making you get a new engine if you do not mind sharing?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is making you get a new engine if you do not mind sharing?
There is a problem in the bottom end of my engine, most likely a crank bearing, and the place I go to get my cars repaired will not fix it due to the labor evolved to then have it possibly not fix the problem (knocking noise which I and my father believe is a crank bearing) so I am replacing the engine per their recommendation.

I "MIGHT" of tried doing all this on my own but I do not have the time or resources to accomplish this kind of campaign. The labor alone would cost almost 20 fold the cost of the bearing anyways, then to possibly not have it resolve all the issues would be devastating so the better option is replacing the engine, besides I bought this used from a lease and who knows what the previous owner did to it, and I screwed up on oil so I know I have caused some damage.

That being said I was just curious if the power of the engine would be the same or better, as I am told it should be at least the same seen as Jasper guarantees OEM standards or better.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
I know it used to be with Jasper, that if 1 cylinder on an engine needed bored, they would bore the 1 cylinder, and the rest of them would be stock... Just stuff like that...

I would probably pull one out of a junk yard TB for $500 before I'd pay $1500 for a Jasper rebuild...

Mike

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it used to be with Jasper, that if 1 cylinder on an engine needed bored, they would bore the 1 cylinder, and the rest of them would be stock... Just stuff like that...

I would probably pull one out of a junk yard TB for $500 before I'd pay $1500 for a Jasper rebuild...

Mike
The Jasper comes with a 3 year 100,000 mile waranty and the junk yard engine comes with none. It seems worth it to get the Remanufactured engine that is garunteed (sp)... but also I have no abilty to do it my self or the junk yard version might be more appealing.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
117 Posts
Did they check your flex plate for cracks and also verify that the bolts are tight? Loose flex plate bolts will sound exactly like a rod or crank bearing knock. I have seen engines sold over this. :hopeless

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did they check your flex plate for cracks and also verify that the bolts are tight? Loose flex plate bolts will sound exactly like a rod or crank bearing knock. I have seen engines sold over this. :hopeless
I am not sure, but you know how if you use a Stethiscope or a really long screw driver and put it on the engine and you can hear/feal the knocking threw it. I myself did that and the guy at the shop did that. Honestly the more I have them look at it the more money it costs me and getting a new engine, then parting out the old one for cash, is probably the simplest thing for me to do.

SO no one knows anything about the specs on the jaspers though huh?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
82 Posts
If you were up for a roadtrip their is a guy in Ottawa(ontario, canada) that has a GM crate motor that brand new in the box for I believe last time I talked to him for 1100$

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
651 Posts
Buying a Jasper engine because of the warrenty is a BAD idea..

go over on a oil change, void
not change the air filter when the owners manual recomends, void
go 4 wheeling, void
and I am sure there are more they will try to VOID for

On top of that, 1500 bucks? I can buy 2 low mileage engines, and have one for a spare in 150k miles. You can also get used engines with warrentys. The one that is in my Subaru has a 2 year, unlimited miles, warrenty, from a salvage yard.

Check EBAY, there are a quite a few on there. Some offer warrentys, some are low miles, etc..

Hell for about 800 bucks, you can take the motor you currently have, send it out to be rebuilt by a local machine shop, and be good too..

I do not support Jasper, they will screw you every chance they get..

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
98 Posts
I am not sure, but you know how if you use a Stethiscope or a really long screw driver and put it on the engine and you can hear/feal the knocking threw it. I myself did that and the guy at the shop did that. Honestly the more I have them look at it the more money it costs me and getting a new engine, then parting out the old one for cash, is probably the simplest thing for me to do.

SO no one knows anything about the specs on the jaspers though huh?
1-disconnect the quick disconnect plug on the ignition coil packs 1 at a time. The knock will decrease a lot when you get to the cylinder the has the problem. This would confirm a bearing failure. (Piston, wrist pin or rod bearing)

2-They used to use Jasper rebuilt engines where I work. (Ford & Chevy Vans), they don't anymore due to reliability issues. 1 failed within 2,000 miles(was vibrating badly from day one). One van had 3 of them installed within 20,000 miles. Jasper claimed one of the engine failures was due to a faulty install, said they found a bolt in one of the cylinders. About 6 others performed very well. So its hit or miss.

3-I saw one with a cracked cylinder head. It cracked right at the same spot where they had welded a previous crack in the combustion chamber area between valves. Its been several years since any Jasper rebuilt engines have been installed so I don't know if they are still welding aluminum heads but it would be a good question to ask!

4-My advise is to go with a new GM crate motor if $'s permit, or a good used motor with low miles

·
Registered
2006 gmc trailblazer_ltz
1 Posts
AC- In answer to your actual question, there will be no difference in the specs on your engine. For the most part your horsepower is going to be controlled by your fuel system, and vehicle computer. These parts will stay with your vehicle. For more power you would need to modify those parts. Since you are not able to do the engine replacement yourself, you must weigh heavily the labor fees associated with using a used engine. If for some reason that engine would fail, (and it is a gamble) will the cheaper engine price offset the cost to replace the engine again. (By the way, Jasper doesn't void warranties for not following your maintenance schedule. If the engine fails, they tear it down piece by piece and use the engine components to determine why it failed (much like an autopsy). Its common sense, not brain surgery.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
AC- In answer to your actual question, there will be no difference in the specs on your engine. For the most part your horsepower is going to be controlled by your fuel system, and vehicle computer. These parts will stay with your vehicle. For more power you would need to modify those parts. Since you are not able to do the engine replacement yourself, you must weigh heavily the labor fees associated with using a used engine. If for some reason that engine would fail, (and it is a gamble) will the cheaper engine price offset the cost to replace the engine again. (By the way, Jasper doesn't void warranties for not following your maintenance schedule. If the engine fails, they tear it down piece by piece and use the engine components to determine why it failed (much like an autopsy). Its common sense, not brain surgery.
hmmm... 1st post, defending Jasper, from Indiana... Are you from Jasper, IN, by chance? Or do you just work at one of their branches, like in Indy?

ETA: Also, if Jasper engine has an early failure (which I've seen SEVERAL times), does the Jasper warranty cover the R&R of the engine? With these 4.2l engines being so reliable, I would hazard a guess that there's about an equal chance of getting a bad one from Jasper as there is getting a bad low mileage example out of a wrecked TB in a junkyard (Junkyards typically have a 30 day warranty on stuff like engines, by the way)...

AETA: and HP isn't "mostly" controlled by the computer... Do a tune and get 5HP... Stock tune, put cams and high compression pistons bored .120 over, and see if the computer keeps the power levels stock... The computer only "mostly" controls the power on diesels, and even then, if you do bigger injectors or pump, it changes everything...

Mike

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
33 Posts
Jasper has a reputation for cheap rebuilds, but, not fraudulently bad rebuilds.

They won't be using the most expensive and highest-tolerance bearings, rings, and gaskets. but they will replace all of them. Like someone else said, there's a reputation of say boring just one cylinder-- won't wreck an engine, but it just won't be as smooth, is all.

But I absolutely agree with your route. I'd rather have a jasper rebuild, not a bad rebuild, with a proper warranty and you know all new parts were put in-- than a junkyard engine of the same mileage as your damaged engine, and who the hell knows how the previous owner drove it.
Unless you find a used engine with like 40,000 miles on it from a running car, just that the previous owner had an accident and is parting it out... that's the only kind of used engine I'd take the gamble of the cost of an engine R&R to install.

Btw, the warranty won't cover the R&R labor, I shouldn't think-- but that doesn't make it meaningless on an engine. A meaningless warranty is the $40 window motor that a dealer charges $300 to install, and if it breaks, the labor FAR outweighed the part.

You keep on asking about specs. It's an old core that was rebuilt, new parts, and minimum machining where absolutely required. It is not souped up or improved in anyway. Expect the same specs.
Having just done a rebuild where I did make some changes to improve the specs, it is a PAIN. You don't want to do it unless you want to make a hobby of this. Different camshaft, better heads; needed to reprogram the computer so it matched the different camshaft. Put on dual exhaust. But my improvements really were quite modest, as this was for my daily driver: this was not a particularly aggressive performance camshaft. You can get into higher-pound injectors, larger intake and throttle, stiffer valve springs, all sorts of stuff real quick with no guarantees that it'll run right as you start messing with the amount of air your engine can pump through.

But honestly, do you think your engine is underpowered for your needs?

One other route, is I know my local machinist will match Jasper on basic rebuilds, he doesn't make much on it but it keeps some money flowing when it's not racing season.
I also know my local machinist is a flake who would take a month to finish it :) Ok, I should give him credit. One guy, dozens of blocks in the shop at any given time, I get it. I'm just not always able to decommission a car for a full month.
But if you go with that route, you would then have the opportunity to chip in a couple hundred extra for better quality parts. Quality mostly = durability/reliability. A felpro gasket won't give you more horsepower, nor will clevite bearings; just should last longer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts