Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
16 Posts
Inner housing cracked

Need some help. I went to take the spline disconnect inner housing off and the thing cracked on me and is stuck in the pan. Any Suggestions.

Attachments

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Seems to happen about 1/4 of the time to members with disconnect problems. Sorry to hear. Been discussed a few times. No substitute for brute force (careful of the oil pan) drilling, chiseling, and carnage to break it into smaller pieces to pry out of the well it's in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have had no luck so far. What do you think about putting the torch to it. I've been hesitant to heat it up

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
A gentle heat might break some corrosion, but think about the structure. Your broken piece is inset in a hole in the oil pan. If you heat the broken piece, it expands, and tightens itself in the hole. I would drill and chisel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Inner Housing is out!

Inner housing is out and my last question is about the fork. I have quite a bit of play between the fork and the gear shift collar. Is it supposed to fit snug? The fork slides off pretty easy. Should I just put a new fork on to be sure?

·
Registered
42 Posts
if you can get a slide hammer with an outer jaw puller on the end of it might get it out. I don't remember but you might be able to put a bolt in the end of the shaft and use a slide hammer to pull it out first, or there might be a step on the shaft that won't allow that.

good luck that sucks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
sorry i did not see that you got it out.
if your shift fork is worn you should replace it because you want the sliding collar to be in the right spot or it will put added stress on the gears and collar.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
Those pics look painfully familiar :worried:
Glad you got it out. I ended up taking it to a shop to have them get it out. I couldn't budge it. I recommend when you put the replacement in that you first sand both surfaces nice and smooth (get rid of any corrosion buildup) then put some anti-seize or something like that on the collar and the hole to keep it from happening again.

Can you get a pic of the fork? I'm curious how worn it looks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here are some pics of the Inner housing after beating it up. What i did was drill 3/16 holes as close to the opening as possible to weaken the cup. After that I took a short claw banked out a chunk on an angle after i had just the first chunk out of the pan I was able to spin it out by tapping and prying. It ended up taking about 2 hrs but I could have cut the time down if I just drilled the holes all around in the first place. Ordered the new inner housing from a place called http://www.ringpinion.com for $107. Here's a pic of the Inner housing all out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
7 Posts
4wd issue

Hi All,

I hope I posted at the right place. I read several of these posts on the subject and my problem is lights of selector works and stays on automatic. When I turn selector, it blinks for a while and returns to automatic. Is this an actuator issue? The 4wd doesn't engage.

Thanks for your help.

MMc

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
7 Posts
Hello , im new to forum I know this is old thread, but I have some of same issues ive read about, I usually fix most things myself, I have 06 trailblazer 4wd only works in A4wd not in 4hi or 4lo, no service lights or blinky switch only when it is transitioning between gears. Ive read alot about encoder motors, mine seems to be coming on and doing its job, granted it just changes gears in the transfer case. The front actuator I tested it with it pulled out it pushed out in a4wd but didnt move in 4wdhi or lo from the first position it moved, any help would be appreciated just want to buy the right part Switch?Actuator?encoder motor?

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you end up needing one or both, you have another option. Remove the fork, collar and both gears and buy the one piece sleeve from an AWD truck. Your front axles won't disconnect ever again (slight loss of mpg) but you won't be fixing this again in a few years either. :)
Bringing this thread back to life.

If you go this route, wouldn't this also remove the actuator from the equation? In doing so, would this not piss off the control module and cause codes related to the missing actuator?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The actuator would remain, it just wouldn't have a fork to push, and instead of the two gears and collar, there would be a sleeve connecting the stubby shaft to the half-shaft. It's similar, albeit smarter, than the idea I had, which was to leave out the fork and have the collar welded in place such that it would always engage both gears. I didn't do that, but if I ever do have to rebuild the splined disconnect again, I will most certainly use the sleeve.

As for an MPG hit, I can't imagine spinning a propshaft and ring gear is a whole lot worse than running the spider gears constantly.

I've heard of front diffs seizing up from not being exercised and serviced, only to break in a bad way when 4WD is engaged on-the-fly. I'd like to see the math on fuel savings over a 200,000 mile vehicle life, versus the cost of repairs for a broken ring & pinion set or a complete differential replacement.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2 Posts
2004 Envoy won't go into 4HI or AWD (good in 4LO)

I had a shelled out transfer case on my 04 Envoy. I changed it out, along with the motor and now it works in 4LO/2HI but the dash lights blink when trying to go into 4HI or AWD then the solid light goes back to the original setting prior to my selector input. I pulled off the front axle actuator and noticed that it extends fine in 4LO and retracts when in 2HI, but doesn't move when I put it in 4HI or AWD. I can feel the front axle is engaging and disengaging as the lights are blinking when trying to go into 4HI or AWD. Is this likely a front axle actuator or TCCM issue?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2 Posts
4HI/AWD inop '04 Envoy

I had a shelled out transfer case on my 04 Envoy. I changed it out, along with the motor and now it works in 4LO/2HI but the dash lights blink when trying to go into 4HI or AWD then the solid light goes back to the original setting prior to my selector input. I pulled off the front axle actuator and noticed that it extends fine in 4LO and retracts when in 2HI, but doesn't move when I put it in 4HI or AWD. I can feel the front axle is engaging and disengaging as the lights are blinking when trying to go into 4HI or AWD. Is this likely a front axle actuator or TCCM issue?

Well, it wasn't the front axle actuator :/ I changed it out and still have the same outcome. goes into 4LO fine. if I try to come out of 4LO to 4HI or AWD the lights indicate AWD. If I come from 4LO to 2HI it goes to 2HI fine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
i have a 2005 gmc envoy my 4x4 wont engage but on the switch it shows them engaging because the light flashes and skips over to what i put it on but when i give it gas it is only in 2 wheel drive no service light either but when i switch i hear a noise when i turn the knob any help

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
8 Posts
How do you replace the inner and outer seal? I just got a good disconnect from the junkyard but the seals are worn.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
13 Posts
trace wiring from fuse 48 to actuator

After replacing the TCCM and front actuator, I dug out the voltmeter and started checking signals. I have 12v at fuse 48 under the rear seat, but nothing at the connector on the actuator. According to the wiring diagrams I can find, it goes thru the underhood fuse block, but only a cable connector. Looks like they are labeled C2-B11 and C3-E4.
Where do I find these connectors?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
6 Posts
Disconnect grease

Any views on changing the type of grease used in the disconnect to ease the movement of the actuator?

81 - 100 of 102 Posts