Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original was gold bowtie with chrome cross bar. First paint job was chipping probably partly due to my rushing the paint job. It also didn't seem as shiny as it does now.

Old

flash

No flash

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

Took a lot longer then I thought.

Started at 9:30pmish and finished about 2:15am. So about 5hrs total.
Last paint job took about 2hrs total.

Sanding with a really low grit paper to get the bowtie and crossbar scored and all the crap that was stuck to it (bugs) and whatever residue was on the actual crossbar when I only used a higher grit paper before.

Then used 240 (seemed pretty fine for it) to smooth it out. Put about 4-5 coats of gloss black on bowtie and barely had enough to do 3 coats on crossbar (1 and a 1/4 cans of gloss black). Then did 3 coats of clear on the bowtie and 3 (i think) coats of clear on the crossbar.

Oh yeah, I also have to thank Blulytes for having the "How To:" for programing the keyless entry. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First time (this started chipping within 2 weeks).
I did a light sand with 240grit the first time, then painted 2 or 3 coats of gloss black (krylon fusion for plastics), then took 2 or 3 coats of clear.

This time (with steps above)
(ill have to get the sandpaper grit) I used a fairly abrasive sand paper and sand it really good taking it back down to the chrome in spots. Then took the 240grit to get it pretty smooth. Make sure you get in the corners really well with the sand paper or the paint wont stick, also sand and paint into the bowtie area. Took the same gloss black (krylon fusion for plastics) and did 3 coats. I did it fairly thick but without it running on me. I used just over a can of spray paint between this and the bowtie. Then did 3 (I beleive) coats of clear (the more you do the glossier it will get).

For the bowtie
I used the really abrasive sand paper on it, but I don't think it's needed because the plastic is pretty soft. use the 240 grit to smooth everything out and make sure you get the sides and corners. Once smooth, I put down 2 coats of the gloss black. I wasn't satisfied so I did a little wet sanding with a 600grit. Just light pressure to smooth everything out. Just in case I did have a 2000grit also. Once sanded, make sure to dry it off really well. Then put down 2 or 3 more coats. Then clear coated with another 2 or 3 coats.

Sorry for all the "2 or 3" coats. as the original post stated, it wasn't the best time to do this. The clear coat is pretty much do to your liking but make sure you read the can to see how much time is needed before the next coat and cure time. I can't remember the name of it, but it said 15min before next coat, but 24hr cure time.

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,307 Posts
looks good!!,,,bring it to the july 25th quad cities meet so we can see it in person!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks good!!,,,bring it to the july 25th quad cities meet so we can see it in person!
Thanks! Won't be able to make it. Friend is going to be back in town from Iraq and were going to a brewer game. Thanks for the invite. You guys ever do any meets at GreatLakes Dragaway or just closer to the Milw area? This is her driver and mine is stick which she refuses to drive.

turned out nice:cool:
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.