Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one remove the overhead console? I have the model with just 2 lights. I've managed to get the 2 front clips loose, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I'm installing a Homelink that I bought on eBay, but the console I bought on eBay has a sunglass holder that opens to a pair of screws. I don't want to rip up my console removing it, but I don't see how I can remove the darn thing.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,009 Posts
You need to remove the lenses from the lights. Once you remove therm, there will be 2 star head screws under where the light lenses were.

Here is a picture of mine when I had the console out. The arrows are pointing the the areas that the screws go into. Hope that helps you out a little.

Wire Electronics Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory

Chris

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That helped a lot! I wasn't sure I could pry on those lenses without breaking them. With your info and 10 minutes worth of work I now have Homelink installed. My ceiling concole is two tone tan and grey. But I can live with that for homelink.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Glad it worked out for you!

When I added the switches for my stuff I got a replacement console, and it had the homelink in it. I love it!

Original:

Replacement:

It works really well. Glad you got yours in and working. :thumbsup:

Chris

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
64 Posts
Hi

I am doing the same thing puting homelink into a lighted overhead console.

How do you pry the lenses out oft= the console ?
With a small screwdriver placed between the two lenses or at the ends near the push dips area ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Hi

I am doing the same thing puting homelink into a lighted overhead console.

How do you pry the lenses out oft= the console ?
With a small screwdriver placed between the two lenses or at the ends near the push dips area ?

Thanks
Use a really small flat head screwdriver. You want to put it almost in the middle where the 2 lenses meet in the middle. If you look to the left and right of center, you can see the plastic where the tabs are in the front and back of the lenses. Look at this picture, and you can see them.

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Auto part

Just lightly pry in those 4 areas, Once those pop out, the lenses will come out.

Chris

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
how do you use the homelink? my tb came with it but i dont have the owners manual anymore:crazy:
On this screen, the very screen you are on, up at the top of the screen is a picture in the right hand side of a Trailblazer SS. Under that is a tab that says RESOURCES. from there there is an option for OEM MANUALS. find your year, and it is in there :yes:

Chris

Edit: darn, you beat me to it :raspberry

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
64 Posts
another question ,

I got the console out but the exchange one I have has both homelink and travelnote. The existing harness (lighted console) has an extra 3 wire power supply for the homelink. Likewise I can extend this wire with one of the extra harness clips to power the travel note.

Now there is an extra mic or speaker in the exchange console.
I cannot find the 2 wire connection this goes to this clip .
anyone know or how to hook em up ?
do I need this second non onstar mike?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4 Posts
Trying to remove overhead console to replace sunroof button

I have a different console. I have the sunglass holder. I am trying to remove the console to replace the sunroof button. But when I tried to take out the screws ( which look like phillips) they started to thread. What kind of screw head do I need? Plus is the replacing the button easy enough? I think it looks like a matter of pulling the console down and then popping the button out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
43 Posts
Overhead console removal w/homelink

Guys, I've been searching for a procedure to remove the overhead console WITH homelink and I have found nothing so far, so I'm asking... has anyone done this yet? Thanks... junkyardog

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lots of consoles have been removed. I seem to remember the screws are Torx head. Have you searched in vain for the screws yet?
No I haven't... I'm trying to do research before I tackle the console, headliner, then sunroof... I just need to know what I'm doing and how to remove things before I do it to my truck. I normally go to junkyards to see how things come apart before I break mine...

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
No I haven't... I'm trying to do research before I tackle the console, headliner, then sunroof... I just need to know what I'm doing and how to remove things before I do it to my truck. I normally go to junkyards to see how things come apart before I break mine...
Research first, is always a good thing. One resource that may help you quite a bit, is compnine.com They have a lot of exploded drawings of the different parts/sections in our trucks so you can see how they are put together,where the screws/bolts are, and how to take them apart. It's also good for locating part numbers, and seeing what other vehicles share those parts, in case you do find yourself in a junk yard looking for something :thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Research first, is always a good thing. One resource that may help you quite a bit, is compnine.com They have a lot of exploded drawings of the different parts/sections in our trucks so you can see how they are put together,where the screws/bolts are, and how to take them apart. It's also good for locating part numbers, and seeing what other vehicles share those parts, in case you do find yourself in a junk yard looking for something :thumbsup:
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts