Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of replacing my "neutral safety switch" and I have the 2 screws out aswell as the 2 connectors. But I still cant take off the switch, It keep hitting the driveshaft.

Can someone help me out? Maybe im missing something

*Ps, I used the search before I made this post*

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
15 Posts
Any progress?

Did you find out how to remove the switch? I'm looking to probably do the same thing.

My 03 SWB TB with 161K miles decided to stop allowing cruise to work and the gear indicator only shows up for R, 3 & 1 gears. P, N, D & 2 gears it does not show an indicator and my doors won't automatically unlock when I shift into Park, like it is programmed to do. I think it needs to register that it's in Park before the doors will unlock and that cruise must only work while in the Drive gear.That's why I think it is the Neutral Safety switch or PND123 switch or Park Neutral switch, whatever it's called. I've seen references to about five different names to call it. I've checked the fuse for cruise and it was not burnt. I haven't had time to check any others. One time I did put it in Park and wiggle the shifter and it unlocked the doors, but I haven't been able to repeat that.

Everything else seems to be working fine except for an exhaust leak and the front driver side wheel bearing going out again. It just sucks not having cruise. Didn't realize how much I used it.

Mike

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
15 Posts
Figured it out

Well, since I couldn't find the answers I was looking for, I had to go at it blind. Turns out, you do need to drop the front drive shaft to replace the Neutral Safety switch. I had never done anything like this before, so I didn't know how to do it and I couldn't find any suggestions on what to do, so I thought I would add this in here.

To drop the fornt drive shaft, there is a collar on the end of the shaft closest to the transfer case that needs to slide forward. I used a pry bar and it popped forward about an inch. Once that is in place, I used a piece of wood, since I didn't have dead blow hammer, to hit against the drive shaft a few times, rotating the shaft as I went. I then used a pry bar and placed the tip in the front of the shaft where the U-joint is and pryed it toward the rear of the truck. It popped loose somewhat easily. Neither of the caps came off the U-joint which is good.

Once the drive shaft was moved out of the way, I could slide the Neutral safety switch off of the linkage shaft. Putting the new one on was a bit tricky as you have to get it lined up correctly and pull the metal strap off of the new unit only after you have started it sliding onto the the linkage shaft. The new unit came with a metal strap piece on it to hold the selection rotator in place. Once the switch was in place, I just had to test to switch to make sure it was in the correct position since the bolt holes are oblong allowing for the switch to swivel.The way I did that was to turn the ignition on and moved the gear shift and make sure that the selector showed up where it was supposed to. After a slight adjustment, it is working liks a charm.

Replacing this fixed my selector not showing up for some gears and now my cruise control works again. Not having cruise was starting to make my mileage suffer since I drive on some hilly roads and having to adjust my foot all the time made me push it down more than I wanted making me go faster and use more fuel.

I wanted to take pictures of the procedure, but I couldn't find a camera. If someone has questions, and would like some pictures, I'll take some and point out what needs to be done. Hope this helps someone else, because it sure would have helped me. Now to fix some other things.:ugh:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts