Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can not get the spindle out of the diff.? do I need some special tool? tried prying and pounding but could not get it out. any ideas?

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
3,097 Posts
I believe you have to come from under the truck and stike it with a long punch or something. The is some sort of spring clamp or something holding it in and it does require some force to get out.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You can try prying with a crowbar, but the long brass drift punch at a slight angle is the recommended tool. Oh, yeah, and a 3 pound hand sledge. Don't ignore the power of a BFH.

Brass is so you don't destroy the tripot housing. If you're changing the entire shaft, not just working on the seal, you don't care so much about damage. Use a 18" length of rebar. Often, the splines get rusty and stick horribly. One side on mine snapped right out on the second hit. The other side took 20 minutes and three beers.

It is a c-clip at the end of the shaft that's retaining it. Oh, I guess you aren't replacing it if you haven't bought a replacement to see the structure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can try prying with a crowbar, but the long brass drift punch at a slight angle is the recommended tool. Oh, yeah, and a 3 pound hand sledge. Don't ignore the power of a BFH.

Brass is so you don't destroy the tripot housing. If you're changing the entire shaft, not just working on the seal, you don't care so much about damage. Use a 18" length of rebar. Often, the splines get rusty and stick horribly. One side on mine snapped right out on the second hit. The other side took 20 minutes and three beers.

It is a c-clip at the end of the shaft that's retaining it. Oh, I guess you aren't replacing it if you haven't bought a replacement to see the structure.
Thanks for the info:duh:I was beating on it for about 45 minutes with a piece of pipe but could not get enough behind it. someone said to use a pickle fork :hail:so I will give this a shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.