Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

How easy is it to remove and save the bolts and nuts from the front left lower control arm from the control arm support, without removing the control arm support from the vehicle? Also, if I have to remove the whole thing with support included, how do I torque back the support bolts to 190 ft lbs, if I don't have a torque wrench that goes anywhere near that setting? I have a 2008 trailblazer, 4.2L, base model.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,647 Posts
Being limited and hampered with insufficient or nonexistent tools is kinda rough --- you betchum!
Having no experience in this kinda job can be lethal.​

You are --- or will be dealing with forces that can remove your head, arms or legs depending upon your position when you do this job.

Sequence, jacking points and experience with a big helping of logic is critical and having a tutor alongside you is better yet ... you don't have the pay grade to do this work.

It makes a lot of difference with the final result you are seeking ---- what's the bottom line ...?

Are you trying to harvest bolts from a junkyard and use them on your vehicle ....?

So, mucho enlightenment is needed here

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple questions. I have rebuilt struts and replaced them. Pressed out and in new ball joints (upper and lower), tie rods, sway bars, etc. for this vehicle. I have experience, and most tools. What I don't have is a torque wrench that goes up to 190 ft lbs. As far as the bolts and nuts on the control arm that attach to the support, I want to know if it is easy to remove the bolt, and if it can be taken out easily, and not have the head of the bolt be jammed against a frame structure making it impossible to remove, unless you remove the control arm support. And no, I am not going to use junk yard bolts. Thanks

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,647 Posts
Well ... since you know what you are doing but don't have a sufficiently large torque wrench -- you CAN use a Torque Multiplier to give you the extra leverage.

... or calculate the added length and mechanical disadvantage by using something like this ...

Material property Auto part Font Composite material Engineering

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
587 Posts
Go to O'Reillys (or some other competing) parts store, get a torque wrench from their "Loaner Tool" program. "Buy" the tool, take it home, use it, return tool, get refund for total purchase price.
www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/evertough/tools---equipment/rental-tools/brake--tire---wheel-rental-tools/749f067e140e/rental-tools-evertough-torque-wrench/ren1/67075/v/a/3428/automotive-truck-1997-chevrolet-k2500-pickup-4wd

I'm not saying I would do this. I don't trust other people's torque wrenches, especially bottom-feeder tools that have never been sent in to verify calibration. But this is better than nothing. And I have used other "Loaner Tools" from various parts stores, and they worked out very well.

Better yet: Buy a genuine Made In USA, first-class torque wrench--perhaps from Amazon.
(Only torques in one direction--but very convenient otherwise, including flex-head. Does not have to have the torque setting returned to bottom of scale for storage.)
www.amazon.com/Precision-Instruments-PREC3FR250F-Silver-Torque/dp/B002XMSFIM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1WOQESUFY2VV0

(Torques both directions, setting has to be returned to bottom of scale for storage.)
www.amazon.com/CDI-2503MFRMH-Micrometer-Adjustable-Torque/dp/B002LA1EDO/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1WOQESUFY2VV0

Reactions: chem_man

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went out and got a good quality 250 ft lb torque wrench as suggested. I am installing both new control arms and control arm brackets. I have a question when installing the new gm control arm, according to the GM service manual, it says to make sure the "spacer" is in place on the front control arm bracket bushing, before installing the new control arm. I did not get a new spacer washer in my kit, nor could I find one installed on the orginal gm bracket front bushing. If you don't put a spacer in, it looks like the rubber of the bushing will rub on the steel of the control arm?? Should I just put in a washer in the front before installing the control arm?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sorry--I can't help. I put ball joints into my existing control arms, but didn't change the arms themselves.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the spacer I was referring to. I purchased the orginal equipment GM control arm from Rockauto. I also purchased an ACDelco replacement control arm bracket that had the installed bushings. There seemed to be plenty room in the forward cup to hold a spacer.
Gesture Art Font Drawing Visual arts
Publication Font Material property Book Paper

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks for the scans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts