Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spare Tire Hoist Issues

I had a problem getting the secoundary latch to release on my spare. I was finally able to get it by pulling down on the tire while my brother turned the hoist at the same time. My wife took the trailblazer in today to replace the tire and the Techs. told her they could not rise the spare all the way up?? Please help.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
39 Posts
spare tire removal

for the next bloke that searches this topic, it's a 13mm 12-point socket and you need at least a 9" extension.
:tiphat I'm the next bloke, finally got around to lower the spare tire,
no surprises, have to get a longer ext. probably hasn't been lowered since GM put it there, thanks for the 13mm tip and ext

·
Registered
39 Posts
spare tire removal

finally took a good look at my situation, apparently the previous owner broke the tool inside the lowering mechanism, let the games begin, if you have any suggestions it would be appreciated, I'd take a pic, but I can barely see it with a flashlight. thanks:bonk:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
33 Posts
I cant speak for all, but my 03 envoy has a spot on the side of the housing which hides the cable that a socket can fit on. last few times I lowered the spare I used an air rachet and dropped it quicker than I could with the tools from the factory. I would take a picture to show exactly where, but being on crutches its hard to get under there and get back up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
spare tire removal update

first thanks to the TB bros for there reply, and help. and to TBT012281, get better real soon. Ok, finally got the tire down, had trouble with the secondary latch, but got it, took the whole assembly down and lubricated the cable and mechanism. tthe problem was not something broken as I first suspected but rather the tool was the wrong size, apparently for some other vehicle. I had a spare 1/2" socket,1/2" drive. (The brother that suggested 13mm, was right, but didn,t have one) . this worked so being a millwright by trade, I welded it to the end of the rod and now have a spare tire removal tool, again fellas thanks. now to finish up with the cleaning of the throttle body.:woohoo:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
12 Posts
Spare tire stuck

I got a flat tire yesterday and the spare would not come all the way down. It got to a point where the mechanisim started clicking. I ended up calling AAA and they towed me. Is there a way to lube the mechanisim. Any help out there.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,034 Posts
i completely removed mine, drew out all the cable, and fired lubricant inside there the cable comes out, and WD40 on the cable as i spooled it back in, as well as just about everything else that was exposed. not sure if it'll work, but come spring, it's getting a fresh looking at, once again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
spare tire removal

I took mine down and extended cable, sprayed with ( Liquid wrench RV dry lubricant) , its made for slide out and hi-los like mine, good for cables and mechanical working parts like the spare tire cable that are exposed to dirt and grime from the road. it is a dry lubricant, hope this helps, by the way I found it at walmart in the RV section,also maybe the auto parts might have it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4 Posts
Spare tire Click

My tire also is stuck after going down a couple inches. Now it just clicks and will not drop down any further.

This site has been great for all my needs in the past hoping to have the same luck once more.

How do I get the tire down without wrecking anything?

Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.