Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my parents took me to Circuit City today and we picked up the Python 872 2 way alarm/ remote start system along with the necessary adapter. The employee at CC said the install will take 4-5 hours, so it'll be going in on Tuesday. I read through the whole manual and plan to do so a few more times to make sure that when I go in on Tuesday I know everything that's going on.

Any suggestions/ concerns I should look out for? By my curious and inquisitive nature, I'd love to sit in the shop and watch them install it, but I'm sure they wouldn't like that.

The system: (399 including install - $15 off CC rewards card purchase)

The GM bypass for remote start: (75+35 install, such BS)

It was pricey, but I'm very excited about it.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
IMO thats pretty cheap for the install........a year ago I purchased my compustar pro and install ran about $750 CAD.....and thats already a deal.....usually shops in my area charge about $1000 CAD or even more....there smoking that funny stuff alright!

By the way....looking at your location.....you are in Florida right? Why do you need a car starter? J/K Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the way....looking at your location.....you are in Florida right? Why do you need a car starter? J/K Good luck!!
I don't -need- a car starter, but it would be nice when it gets "cold". During the winter, it gets down in the 20-40 range. I considered not getting the remote start hooked up, but figured I might as well.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
626 Posts
Nice to have the a/c running when you get in!! I have the climate control set so no matter summer/winter either the heat or the a/c will come on as needed. Nice for a warm car in winter and a cool car in summer.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can't remote start when the hood is open, for safety reasons if someone was working under there.
:duh: Yeah, what else would it be. Ugh the cold is getting to me.

Well my options for occupying myself while the 4-5 hour install occurs are:
1) Go to my parents work and sit around (boring)
2) Walk around a nearby shopping center (it's cold and I have no money)
3) Walk around Circuit City for a few hours (could get VERY boring)
4) Maybe stick around for the install and take pictures?

I'm considering removing my dash pieces so they don't break any tabs or try to hide any kind of wiring hackjob. I have a few questions for them regarding the modification/tapping of any factory wiring. Not sure how I should approach them about this, though.

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
1,069 Posts
As per a request through PM, here is the location of my hood pin. Sorry if the pics are a bit blurry but it was dark and cold out tonight.

Just how cold was it?? I can't say on here, lol, but I can show you

Yes that is -22C or -8F

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh, that's what that is. I was wondering what that part was in the box as I couldn't find a list of the parts included w/ pictures. Thanks for the pics.

I'm actually going to have it installed on Wednesday as it works out better for my family's schedule.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll post pictures after the install.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So everything got installed today. They told me 4-5 hours, took them 2.5 (I started a timer on my phone as soon as I walked out of Circuit City). As I was walking to my car I pressed the remote start button, it started right up. Thing is badass.

The guy at CC told me not to "mess" with the valet button (which is built into the antenna/transmitter and stuck to my windshield tint strip -oh well) because it could mess up the programming.

The system comes with a shock sensor built into the control box which is supposed to be mounted to a firm object (as to detect shock throughout the car). Well the only way I've been able to set the alarm off is by trying to open the door. I saw that there is a way to adjust the shock sensor's sensitivity, which I may need to do or have done.

Only problem so far other than the not so sensitive sensor is that the 2 way remote's LEDs are amber, green, and red. I'm red/green colorblind. Enough said?

Maybe I'll have the remote customized (with the Python brand lettering removed and LEDs swapped out for colors I can differentiate (red/blue/white?)

Haven't pulled the dash apart to see the install job, yet, will do and snap some pics when I get a chance. Busy busy family time starting soon.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
The system comes with a shock sensor built into the control box which is supposed to be mounted to a firm object (as to detect shock throughout the car). Well the only way I've been able to set the alarm off is by trying to open the door. I saw that there is a way to adjust the shock sensor's sensitivity, which I may need to do or have done.
Glad to hear you got it in....as for the shock sensor, IMO they are more of an annoyance then a deterrent, but if it works for you, rock on:cool:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to hear you got it in....as for the shock sensor, IMO they are more of an annoyance then a deterrent, but if it works for you, rock on:cool:
Hey you know what I just realized? The hood pin trigger wasn't used, or at least I couldn't find it. I searched every part of the engine bay where the hood makes any sort of contact and found nothing. They also kept my receipt, I think. I'll just have to go back and straighten things out. I am very happy about it all, though.

PS: I did notice that the alarm went off when I dropped the hood. I'll have to see if it will remote start when the hood is open.

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
1,069 Posts
I agree that the shock sensor is a PITA. I know on mine I turned it pretty much all the way off. It might work if a dump truck ran into my truck, lol. If someone opens the door, then yeah it works.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree that the shock sensor is a PITA. I know on mine I turned it pretty much all the way off. It might work if a dump truck ran into my truck, lol. If someone opens the door, then yeah it works.
See I live in a college town, so with a lot of stupid drunks running around banging into stuff. I just want to know when my car is a victim.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
100 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the hood pin is supposed to set off the alarm if the hood is opened when the system is armed.

If your alarm is anything like mine (Viper), the valet button is also used for programing, but it's hard to accidentally "mess" with it and put it in programing mode; it takes a combination of button presses and the key in the ignition.

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
1,069 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the hood pin is supposed to set off the alarm if the hood is opened when the system is armed.

If your alarm is anything like mine (Viper), the valet button is also used for programing, but it's hard to accidentally "mess" with it and put it in programing mode; it takes a combination of button presses and the key in the ignition.
Yes the hood pin is used for the alarm, but they are also used so that your vehicle will not start with the hood open. If they did not connect the hood pin then it will still start, but it will also start with the hood open and could start on anyone working on the engine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts