Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Trailblazer EXT that has a refrigerant leak somewhere. I’m thinking it’s partly a leak from the low side port and also a leak from the line going into the compressor. I added UV dye and I don’t see any big sprays of it anywhere except around the accumulator and what I think is UV dye from the crimp around one of the rubber hoses. I’m not really sure if it is that though since it just looks like a little dot. It actually looks like a hole that’s supposed to be there, but under UV light it glows. What do you guys think?
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Electric blue Auto part
Eye White Light Leg Glove
Tire Hood Wheel Automotive tire Tread

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,394 Posts
The dye is a lot heavier viscosity than the gas --- if you see dye --- ANY dye --- there's your leak.

You either ignore ........... or believe the results.

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,581 Posts
Keep looking. The dot on the metal crimp sleeve you see is more of reflected light and it corresponds to the dimple in the crimp sleeve. You will be looking for a lot of intense color when you shine the uV light on an area with a leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I’ll see if there’s any more obvious spots first. The other reason I suspect that area is because when I replaced my front differential I had to really bend and twist the compressor out of the way. I’m thinking I could try scraping that area and see if it comes back also. I thought that if it were leaking there then it would be a much bigger area than just that pin hole. I’m not sure if it’s just a dimple though. I’m pretty sure I was able to see the hose through there. I’ll need to look again. How are those hoses when they get moved around a bunch?

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Areas to check are where the hose manifold connects to the compressor, the low and high side fittings, places where 2 hoses come together or a hose screws into something (accumulator, condenser, one hose into another), the condenser it self (small rocks love to hit them and make holes of various sizes), etc.

How much uV dye did you put into the system and how long ago? You have been using the AC, correct?

Do not scrape!!! You could put a hole into something. Wash it using some brake cleaner or some rubbing alcohol.

As long as you do not yank on the hoses, and you gently move them without forcing them, they should be OK.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,689 Posts
Since you have an EXT model, there are AC lines running to the rear HVAC unit. These can rust out and leak. That happened to my 04 Envoy XL, I installed block-off kits on both lines going to the rear.

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Since you have an EXT model, there are AC lines running to the rear HVAC unit. These can rust out and leak. That happened to my 04 Envoy XL, I installed block-off kits on both lines going to the rear.
I had the same on a 2003 extended Envoy and decided to have it fixed. $1600 because the transmission and transfer case have to be dropped to get at the lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I ended up just wiping it away in that area with some #102 cleaner and it doesn’t seem like it’s growing. I’ve used about a can of the straight UV dye also.

I have been checking out the lines running down to the rear A/C and they all look fine. I currently have rear panel off because of a bad actuator and because I needed to clean in there from a battle with German roaches I won 1 1/2 years ago. (I didn’t realize when I bought it that roaches are included free of charge). So I looked at the evaporator core and there no leak there.
I went ahead and ordered the refrigerant line in question and the accumulator which I received today. Now that I’m looking at the accumulator without the rubber mount i noticed that it’s welded. So I’m thinking maybe the weld has a pinhole and that’s why I’m seeing the UV dye accumulating around the mount? I’m guessing it’s not a common failure but that’s possible right?

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Do not forget to check the condenser which is in front of the radiator. I had to have mine replaced due to a hole left behind when a rock impacted it. Extended warranty paid for it thankfully. Also, I was really worried it was the evaporator in the dash which would have been a nightmare!

Reactions: Ravalli Surfer
1 - 9 of 9 Posts