Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Refinishing Wheels, Stripping Clear Coat?

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  AC75TB07 
#1 ·
Anyone here ever strip their stock wheels and refinish?

I just want them to be chrome-y & shiny, so not interested in painting. I'm considering refinishing my own which look like the first picture below only covered with dark ugly corrision. Or I might try looking for something from a Envoy as seen in the second picture and refinish those. I live in winter hell so the best you can get locally is gonna need repairing. Question: is the stripping process the same for either type? Will corrorision come off the Envoy type in any way that will leave the polished look intact, or will that be destroyed in the process? Can it be sanded and saved or are they just beyond repair? Advice and any finished project pics welcomed!

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That Envoy wheel is the worst of a set of 4 that I can get for less than $100. I'm not looking for them to be perfect but if I was to tackle 'em by hand what would the steps be? Stip everything down and just sand until they shine and then recoat with clear? Or is that major corrosion unfixable? Is there a shine to find underneath all that mess?

#11 ·
I didn't go for refinishing after, but instead bought a near perfect set of Envoy wheels with tires already on them for a great price. I still haven't got them on my truck but theres more about it all at this link:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.