Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could all you TB owners out there with a red top under the hood please let me know if you were able to put the metal bar back over top? The guy at Advance auto didn't try too hard, but if he were to have put it back in it would've rubbed against the positive top post on the battery. Or at least I think it would have. I know you can't put the cover back over, but what about that bar? Any pics if you have it installed?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
When I had my '03 Envoy SLT, I put a Red Top in it. Since I installed it myself, I was able to cut away enough plastic to also reinstall the black plastic cover. I was also able to reinstall the bar that went across the battery.

Unfortunately, a lot of places are only interested in throwing the part in and getting the customer out the door.

BTW, the Red Top only lasted me 2 months. A replacement less than a week. I went back to OEM. Hope you don't have my luck with Optima.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I had my '03 Envoy SLT, I put a Red Top in it. Since I installed it myself, I was able to cut away enough plastic to also reinstall the black plastic cover. I was also able to reinstall the bar that went across the battery.

Unfortunately, a lot of places are only interested in throwing the part in and getting the customer out the door.

BTW, the Red Top only lasted me 2 months. A replacement less than a week. I went back to OEM. Hope you don't have my luck with Optima.
Had an Optima in my 96 Lumina for 3 years (ending in 04), it went out right before the warranty was up, replaced free. Haven't had a problem since. (knock on wood). Cold starts not a problem.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
371 Posts
I did NOT put the support bar or plastic back overtop of my Red Top. I used the plastic mount that came w/ the battery and secured it at the base of the battery.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
703 Posts
I was messing around with a Diehard Gold that had the top posts and I took the tube bender to my brace and got it to fit around the post.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The brace will go back in but will be close to the positive top terminal. I wrapped the bar in black electrical tape just in case I or someone else used the top terminal for a jump. Also make sure the post covers are left on the top. Do not use the plastic base that comes with the battery.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I put my plastic battery box and crossbar back over it with holes cut out for the top terminals. Been over a year now with no problems and is really nice for my sub now too (installed back in May 06).

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
189 Posts
i've been wanting to try an optima yellow, but just replaced my battery already with a wal-mart Everstart yellow (the top end kind)... very pleased with it thus far. cold starts - no problem... even with all of my audio electronics.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
171 Posts
optima

i run dual yellow tops in my jeep and one yellow top in my super duty. the 2 in my jeep are about 7 years old, and power my winch quite well so far.
i think optimas are pretty good batteries, little pricey but quality aint cheap. if you really want a sweet battery look into lifeline agm and oddesey, much more power, but huge price tag. i run 2 lifelines in my camper and they are sweet! alot of people also run 2 6 volt golf cart batteries thats about 450 amp hours. great for camping, running an inverter, or a massive stereo system. dont know how you would mount them though. for an easy upgrade the optima is about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
2006 buick rainier
503 Posts
I have one of the Wal Mart batteries in my other car and have never had a prob with it. I think it was like 60 or 70 bucks and is 850 CCA. Not really useful for this thread but heads up to others, it's a pretty good batt. for the price.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I put my bar in a vice, and bent it by hand, with sort of a rough measurement...turned out great, and i even have a terminal on the top post just for fog lights, and stereo stuff, plenty of room, and the bar is still on.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I think that I got your luck with the red top. It was put in about 2 weeks ago, and this morning, my TB would not start! Jumped it, took it back to the place we got it, tested it and BAM, dead! I had them put in a Titanium, so I am hoping that I will have good luck with it!~) I might need to take it in to see if there is something draining it just to be safe.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
442 Posts
Model?

Can anyone post any pics of their battery install? RED TOP or OTHER AFTERMARKET

I want to get the Red Top, but dont want to cover it with trhat ugly black cover..

Also, What is the correct model for the trailblazers....04 to be exact. I call the store and they tell me something completly different from the vendor..

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
160 Posts
Ill take some pics in morning at work and upload them. but I put in the Exide Orbital. I can get these Batts for like 84.00 and they are just like the optima. Spiral cell technology. We put one in my fathers work van GMC3500 and its been in there for 4 years and never had a problem. Also has a 3 year free replacement and a 84month prorated. i have like 1175 CCA and its been below zero here for a while and have had no cold start problems. Is set up like optima and had top and side posts. I was able to put the bar back on and with some time could have put the plasic cover on but opted not to. I have two of these in my monte carlo and it has 4000 watts of power and lights dont dim lol

http://www.exideworld.com/products/automotive/exide_select_orbital_XCD.html

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Here's mine. The red connector is a WARN brand 500 amp connector for winches. Also shows the Redline Tuning hood gas struts. (Gets rid of the ugly, Chevette-style prop rod.)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Optima does not have a number for the TB. Use the one for the pickup. It is a 78 I think.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
As mentioned earlier, I bent mine with a bracket, and test fitted it to make sure. I kept the side post terminals for the factory stuff...but on the top post, I ran my amp, and a few sets of fog lights through a gold terminal...apparently gold is like one of the best conductors so I've heard...but I just got it cuz it looked cool.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
856 Posts
That bar over the battery is designed to push the fenders out in a head-on-collision, to avoid the fenders from going into your doors....as much. Worst case scenario is you may not be able to open your door. Because it is now weakened it will probably only fold up. Not to sound morbid but just my $.02.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts

I want to get the Red Top, but dont want to cover it with trhat ugly black cover..

Also, What is the correct model for the trailblazers....04 to be exact. I call the store and they tell me something completly different from the vendor..
TB's take the 34-78 model.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts