Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2004 trailblazer 4wd ls, oem size is 245/70R16

It's a daily driver, i don't take off road. I live in pa so I need something that can handle dry, wet, snow and ice. Something that can get me to work on snowy days and the kids to school.

I'm currently looking at the General Grabber HTS are they decent tires? All the reviews i found online say they are the best for the money.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&load_rating=F&load_rating=G&minSpeedRating=S

·
Registered
804 Posts
Where abouts in PA you located? What kind of driving do you do? Realizing you dont need a functional tire other than just for comuting do you want more of an agressive tire?

Here is sorta the list that people here tend to go with for common on-road driving but decent priced tires:

General Grabber HTS
Firestone Destination A/T
General Grabber AT2s
One of the Kuhmo tires
and One of the Yoko tires... Generally prices have varied from 99-110ish dollars.

I got my General Grabber AT2s from Tirerack.com for 89 a tire... Price has gone up since then. They have lasted me for over 40000 miles and still have alot of life left in them. I am not too easy on tires either.

Do us a favor as well and fill out your profile info for future reference.

And lastly Welcome to Trailvoy!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
GENERALS ARE HORRIBLE TIRES!!! If you want to replace your tires every other year feel free, plus I dont think they get very good traction. I personally use Dakota All Terrains on mine and im in pretty much the same boat you are. OEM stock and only need the tires for snow and ice since i am in emergency services. Got mine from PepBoys - buy 3 get one free and the tires were about 96 a piece. I think it cost me 378 or there abouts installed.

PS: This is my 100th post! :woohoo: I am officially a trailvoy MEMBER!

EDIT: Forgot to say that the 378 cost was for all four minus the rebate for the fourth one. Also i misquoted the price, so i changed that.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
I am LOVING my new Cooper ATR tires in 255-70-16 size.

Costs on these tires are also good, and they are really good on wet roads (can't even tell they are wet) and snow/slush/ice is great.

I changed mine out in the middle of Louisville's ice storm in January, so right during the middle of a big, nasty weather event, I had before and after results to compare. With the former Bridgestone Dueler ATs, I had to lock into 4x4 high just to stay on the road, and I still spun like crazy trying to back out of my unplowed drive.

After making the switch, I never engaged 4x4 again, not even auto. It just went everywhere without turning over a tire unless I wanted to.

Since, while driving on Louisville's SLICK roads while wet (I'm not sure if it is road surface formulation, the amount of oil leakage from cars or what, but the roads in this city are SLIPPERY when wet compared to other areas where I've lived.) I can lay into corners like they were dry. On one particular freeway interchange, I would typically slow down to 45 mph for the curve on the Duelers. Not anymore -- just drive like it is dry.

They are relatively quiet (figuring that they have an aggressive tread pattern) -- no real howl or hum at all, and they ride really nice. I'm running mine pumped up to 40 psi for better roll and they still give a nice ride.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Check out this thread for what I believe to be an unbiased and scientific comparison of tires for our trucks (as you will see in the thread, others believe differently).

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=46842

Also, check out Tirerack.com, which is also highly recommending the General Grabber tires.

No matter what the tire, you will find somebody who just hates it or has supposedly had bad luck with it. Doesn't matter what tire. So the best you can do is look to independent testing organizations, and tire retailers who gather input from their customers in massive numbers, so opinions aren't overly influenced by a few with a bad experience or by those who work for the company whose tire they are recommending instead (NOT referring to any poster in this thread--but these things have been known to happen).

As with any wear item, YMMV.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,009 Posts
GENERALS ARE HORRIBLE TIRES!!! If you want to replace your tires every other year feel free, plus I dont think they get very good traction.
Wow!

I LOVE my General Grabber HTS tires. I have have them on for about 6K miles now, they ride really nice, are showing no sign of wear, were great in the snow, Made in the USA, and were pretty reasonably priced ($116 each).

As always, your mileage may vary :yes: I would give them a look.

Chris

·
Registered
2007 chevy
130 Posts
You might like the general UHPs better than the HTS's. I have the UHPs which are directional on my TBSS and in ice down here they were super. The tread is very aggressive and and with 6000 miles they are smooth, quiet and dno't look like they have even lost any tread with my aggressive driving. i paid $119 for 275/45/20 from Tirerack. $78 for shipping and i got them in 26 hrs. Went to NTB on their recommendation and had them mounted with life time bal & rotation for $125! 20's cost alot more to mount and balance.

I have a stock 2004 trailblazer 4wd ls, oem size is 245/70R16

It's a daily driver, i don't take off road. I live in pa so I need something that can handle dry, wet, snow and ice. Something that can get me to work on snowy days and the kids to school.

I'm currently looking at the General Grabber HTS are they decent tires? All the reviews i found online say they are the best for the money.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&load_rating=F&load_rating=G&minSpeedRating=S

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 chevy
130 Posts
your opinion?

I researched my General Grabber UHPs and they were rated #2 just a hair behind Continentals on a list of 19 different tires. Generals used to be horrible back in the 80's. :yes:

GENERALS ARE HORRIBLE TIRES!!! If you want to replace your tires every other year feel free, plus I dont think they get very good traction. I personally use Dakota All Terrains on mine and im in pretty much the same boat you are. OEM stock and only need the tires for snow and ice since i am in emergency services. Got mine from PepBoys - buy 3 get one free and the tires were about 96 a piece. I think it cost me 378 or there abouts installed.

PS: This is my 100th post! :woohoo: I am officially a trailvoy MEMBER!

EDIT: Forgot to say that the 378 cost was for all four minus the rebate for the fourth one. Also i misquoted the price, so i changed that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts