Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need someone to help me understand this.:undecided. When I went in to the dealer to get transfer case fluid on the 21st I checked with the service department about the taillight recall since I have never had it done, as well as the fuel line corrosion I got a letter on many moons ago.

He ran my vin and said my TB fell into the fuel corrosion problem and would be covered. The would replace my fuel pump.

I have read that the fuel pump is in the gas tank and this TSB covered and called for the replacement of the tank and pump.

Further the brake light recall called for the replacement of defective circuit boards.

I got a call from the service department stating that my fuel level sensor was showing ware and I should replace it (I declined).

When I picked up the TB I had asked if the tank or pump had been replaced.The service tech said no only the fuel sending unit, and brake light bulbs.

The paperwork reflected the same "parts used: fuel sending unit kit, and bulbs."

Does this seem right? Just changing the bulbs will not correct the problem (god know i put enough in before i found out their was a recall!).

And I have no idea what to make of the TSB special coverage issue.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Go back to the dealer and tell them the recall isn't for the bulbs, its for the circuit boards. And to my knowledge, isn't the fuel sending unit and the sensor one whole?

which dealer did you take it to?

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go back to the dealer and tell them the recall isn't for the bulbs, its for the circuit boards. And to my knowledge, isn't the fuel sending unit and the sensor one whole?

which dealer did you take it to?
I thought the same thing after reading posts on this forum about the sending unit., The dealer is on Milwaukee ave in libertyville, I never paid atention to the name.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
When I had my tailight circuit TSB done---
the guy also mentioned that GM parts was using an upgraded heavy duty bulb. He said that in the future- I could get the regular bulbs at auto parts. But that the parts counter would have the upgraded bulbs from GM....

I dont know how they were upgraded... longer life, heavy duty, or OEM specs were changed to take on whaterver the circuit board was doing to them.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I had my tailight circuit TSB done---
the guy also mentioned that GM parts was using an upgraded heavy duty bulb. He said that in the future- I could get the regular bulbs at auto parts. But that the parts counter would have the upgraded bulbs from GM....

I dont know how they were upgraded... longer life, heavy duty, or OEM specs were changed to take on whaterver the circuit board was doing to them.

I dont know? maybe thicker filament? I was planing on put in some leds, (not the whole assembly just the bulbs) but was worried about the bad boards FU**ING them up.

I gotta go back to the stealership anyway after I get done with this bed rest. They broke of 2 antennas when the "washed" the TB before returning it to me. I also wanted to get all my duck in a row before lightem up

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
thicker filament I think so to...

I still have a suspision that maybe the early models neon high mounted brakelight- its its ballast or whatever it used to make the high voltage-- was maybe part of the problem... as they got rid of that--- eventhough I never saw too many failures of those neon lamps.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more to the story!
So being the untrusing type of dealers. I remove the tail light assemblys after the recall work is done. The first thing that gets my attention on the driver side was the screws that hold the board (3) total. Were rusted and didnt look like they were touched. We at least 2 the third was snaped off in the hole. The screw was recently broken because it had no corrossion at all, silver as can be. This left the board loose and will allow moisture into the bulb over time im sure. The passanger side the top screw hole is much like a post that was cracked off. No screw either, so that to leaves the board loose (real loose). You can tell where the plastic cracked is recent (shiny and clean) no corrosion or oxidation.

Me and the bolders go back to the dealership, I was courtous as could be and showed the service tech Eric Defort. He said no problem hed get it fixed right away.....40 min later he comes back and says "here ya go, your all set, Sorry about that." I leave and off to Autozone I go. I dont get that good feeling so at autozone I remove the assembly and find no work done!!
I send an email to the service manager expaining the problem in detail.

I get an email back about an hour later:

I am responding to your earlier email that was sent to our website in regards to your tail lights. Unfortunately Eric is gone for the day and will not be returning until Monday. Eric showed me the tail lights and the vehicle. It was concluded that there were multiple aftermarket/non-OEM and other miscellaneous equipment that was installed after your last visit to us. After speaking to the technician and reveiwing the situation, we do not feel responsible for the damage that you brought to our attention. Eric had spoken to me about the "cell-phone antenna" and I had OK'd replacement if it was an OEM part (I apologize for the accidental damage that occurred in the car-wash).

If you would like to discuss this in further detail, please feel free to contact Eric or myself on Monday. This will allow me enough time to speak to Eric and obtain some more information regarding your situation.

Thank you for your time, patience, and understanding--have a great weekend!

Sincerely,

Giacomino "Giaco" Ruffolo
Service & Parts Director
Libertyville Chevrolet, Inc.
1001 S. Milwaukee Avenue
Libertyville, Illinois 60048
Main Line: (847)362-1400
Direct Line: (847)932-3026
Fax: (847)932-3052
e-mail: [email protected]

I went back Talked to the part owner. He aggred with his service manager.

I asked just what does aftermarket mods have to do with anything, the TB is not under warrenty. There are no aftermaket modes to the assemblys or bulbs. (I guess window tint) negates negligence. Furthermore If aftermarket non-OEM parts were a problem why was I not informed of that when I brought the TB in? They then stated that since it was an 03 that these things happen. I can understand that, but I sould have been notified after the initial inspection that the assembly could break and I would be responsibale for the 256.00 assemblys. I would have decined the work at that time.

The next thing to ooze out of there cake hole I couldent believe..."Why did you take off the assemblys after the work was done". Maybe because I dont trust you a**holes!

How bout them apples!
off to the county seat I go monday. Ill post pic later. (i cant get them off my new phone!"

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your trouble. When I had my T/A and put a CAI kit on it about 3 months later my intake manifold started to leak and the dealership in Glenview Loren Pontiac tried to tell me my warranty was voided with the kit and it was what caused the problem. After getting a hold of the regional manager thru the customer cares line I got it fixed under warranty, but I still had to fight to get the statement "warranty voided" off all my paperwork and still had problems til the last day of warranty. Sorry about the long story, but see what you can do about getting ahold of the regional or district service manager. They sometimes care a bit more and dont want things getting past them.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I'm sure you know already but, print out a copy of this and show it to "Giaco" so he knows what is being sent to the district and regional managers. This (and over pricing) is why dealerships are losing customers.:m2:

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you find a regenal manager? I started to look at the GM website, It said try to first handle it at the dealer level (we no ho that turned out) Ill try and go though GM, although this really isnt about warrenty, its about the dealer destoying property of another and dening restitution. However I am leaning toward Small claims. 10k or under, and I do better than average in there. since its small claims, state law prohibits any incorperated entity from being represented by a lawyer. Only the owner or service manager to defend. Also small claims is a civil court so rules of evedence are much different. I will not have to prove reasonable doubt (highest level of proof]. Only preponderance of evidence (lowest level of proof) must be show. only 81 bucks to file. I wont even have to pay a prosses server! I can do it myself!

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
There are phone numbers in the back of the owners manual. Just as an added thought, what they did could be considered a safety hazard. Causing the lights to fail.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are phone numbers in the back of the owners manual. Just as an added thought, what they did could be considered a safety hazard. Causing the lights to fail.

Thanks. I didnt think of that. I guess I could glue the boards in, but the bulbs would burn out eventually. Then I wouldent be able to change them.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Call up a different dealership and ask them for the regional or district managers number and you could explain what is going on. That is how I was able to do it with Pontiac. The dealer I use is in Crystal Lake, IL. 815-459-4000 and the guys are pretty cool. Rich is usually the guy I deal with. Good luck.

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
Giacomino "Giaco" Ruffolo
Service & Parts Director
Libertyville Chevrolet, Inc.
1001 S. Milwaukee Avenue
Libertyville, Illinois 60048
Main Line: (847)362-1400
Direct Line: (847)932-3026
Fax: (847)932-3052
e-mail: [email protected]

Maybe we should all send "Giaco" an e mail:woot:. Could you imagine his inbox if everyone sent him an e mail with an opinion on the situation:crackup:
Only kidding....but it would be hilarious.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Maybe we should all send "Giaco" an e mail:woot:. Could you imagine his inbox if everyone sent him an e mail with an opinion on the situation:crackup:
Only kidding....but it would be hilarious.
I'm down - FAM's mods had nothing to do with the circuit boards, the dealer needs to man up:yes:

Crap...now Roadie is going to yell at me.
:dielaugh:

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Sounds like you need to find a different dealer. If that is their common practice, they won't be in business much longer. If you want, PM me your VIN and I'll check and see if the recalls were closed or not and what the recalls actually are and what they were supposed to cover.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts