Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brake lights on my 04 Trailblazer EXT went out and Chevy is telling me there is no such recall and that I'm not in warranty to have it fixed. My wife and kids almost got rear ended by a cop because of this. Then they go to tell me it's just an announcement and my specific car has no recalls on it.

What can I do? The way my job is I cant afford to fix the problem and fix it ticket. My lights just went out about 3 weeks ago all 3 at the same time.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
All THREE?!?

The recall was for the circuit boards in the tail light assemblies only. You can call 1-800-630-2438 and ask them to confirm (with your VIN) whether or not the recall applies, and if it was done.

But all THREE brake lights out, including the CHMSL (center high mounted stop lamp) implicates underhood fuse #12, not the circuit boards. Perhaps the wiring caused a short and replacing the fuse won't help. Or maybe the brake pedal switch is bad. But let us know how that fuse is.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the fuse is good. The circuit board on my left (driver side) taillight assembly is cracked open. I noticed this when trying the bulbs 1st. It is at my mechanics but Chevy keeps saying my VIN doesnt fall under the recall.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,269 Posts
I wonder how long youve been driving around with no lights...

I make it a habit-- to check my lights everyday.
Its not hard for me.
I back into my parking spot at work- so I step on brakes and can see whos burned out or not.
I even do this at home- if I leave at night and im backed in against the fence. I step on the brakes to see the lights reflect-- and then turn on blinkers.
I even find myseld doing this on the highway-
daytime---if im in rush hour traffic and the right vehicle is behind me- you can see the reflection of your taillights in their chrome trim.
At night- I use the red light reflection off the peoples faces....

Sounds weird-- but knowing and seing tons of trailvoys with no brakelights taught me to check my own lights often.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Just to confirm: your CHMSL is also dead?

There's a pair of circuit boards on Ebay now, buy it now $36 shipped

Rockauto has DORMAN Part # 923009, $13 each shipped. I also see a web site that says:

Part numbers: GM # 16532713, GM # 16532714, & Part # 70006 replaces GM # 16525938

I see Dorman #70006 on Rockauto for $21.79

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I have asked the OP twice if the CHMSL was dead or not, with no response. If the vehicle is at the mechanics, then he's not working on it himself. I thought it was a problem with the expense, so it was a DIY project. Guess not. :hopeless

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
8,149 Posts
I have asked the OP twice if the CHMSL was dead or not, with no response. If the vehicle is at the mechanics, then he's not working on it himself. I thought it was a problem with the expense, so it was a DIY project. Guess not. :hopeless
Sorry. I saw the original post about all three being out and you asking if, in deed, all three were out. I assumed he answered. And you know what they say about assuming. :bonk: Next life I want to be rich instead of good looking.:dielaugh:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
290 Posts
What if you buy used opposed to new? Is the recall covered by GM or deos that come outta the owners pocket? Sorry such a silly question but B4 the TB I never spent more then $1000.00 on a vehicle and everything was always an autopac writeoff.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
35 Posts
Here is the recall from the NTSB:

Make: GMC Model: ENVOY XL
Model Year: 2004
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: OCT 27, 2004
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 04V527000
EA04021
NHTSA Action Number: EA04021
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 871473
Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, VIBRATION AND HEAT MAY CAUSE THE TAIL LAMP/STOP LAMP BULB TO LOOSEN IN ITS SOCKET. IF THIS OCCURS, THE BULB MAY FLICKER AND EVENTUALLY BECOME INOPERATIVE.
Consequence:
AN INOPERATIVE BRAKE LAMP WILL NOT CONVEY THE DRIVER'S INTENTION OF STOPPING TO DRIVERS IN FOLLOWING VEHICLES, AND AN INOPERATIVE REAR TURN SIGNAL LAMP WILL NOT CONVEY THE DRIVER¿S INTENTION TO TURN TO DRIVERS IN FOLLOWING VEHICLES. BOTH OF THESE FAILURES CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE TAIL LAMP/STOP LAMP ASSEMBLIES, AND IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THEM. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 22, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537, BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080, OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 04087. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.