Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Rear wiper issue

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jaylind 
#1 ·
Recently while on a trip to Iowa, my TB developed a problem in the rear wiper.

As we were driving back to where we were staying, I turned on the wiper after a monsoon hit. I noticed the wiper only going halfway, then back, then slowly getting weaker.

I pulled off at a rest area and checked it. There was (I assume) the washer fluid hose at the base that was pinched a bit, but I don't think it was related.

At one point the wipers went all the way over but couldn't go back on the return stroke, then suddenly moved further to the left off the window and down, then began "wiping" the tailgate.

I'm not sure what to check. Now the wipers don't even come off the rest that holds it.

02 TB LTZ.

I did search the forums but nothing specific to my problem appeared. Thanks.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Well I feel like an idiot...

After getting monsoons here for the last week, I actually spent a couple of minutes to inspect the wiper (as it rained) and discovered the cover of the wiper could be opened to reveal the bolt that apparently was loose. I grabbed my pliers from the back storage area and a couple of tightening turns later, my wipers are good as new.

Attached are my "in action" photos taken with my cellphone. The first shows the wiper base and bolt cover, the second is the cover flipped open to reveal the culprit, and the third is my fix for the problem.

I feel like an idiot for not doing this sooner (it's been out since June), but problem solved.

Live and learn.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #6 ·
What about a washer?

Should I put a lock washer on there to prevent it from coming loose again? What about a stainless steel nut?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.