Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am having a major issue with my 2007 Saab 97x 5.3i. We got some snow about a month ago so I took advantage of having a Saab AWD vehicle so I went out to see how great it works. Well, it did work great. I stopped on the incline of some hills and started from a dead stop and the thing took off like a rocket. Anyways, after having some fun and the snow melted I think the Sabb is stuck in the AWD mode. I know from trying to pull into a parking space on Friday that my back wheels are locked. When I make the turn the inner wheel starts grabbing and spinning trying to keep up pace with the outer wheel. I changed the differential fluid and took it out for a 15 mile run to see if I could get the wheels unlocked. It didn't work. I drove to a parking lot and try doing some tight figure 8's to see if that would unlock them, that failed also. Now I have it in my garage and tomorrow I will be lifting it completely off the ground to see if ALL 4 wheels spin if I put it in neutral and turn the rear wheels with my hands. Has anyone ran across this problem before? How do I fix it? HELP HELP HELP:thx

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
If I'm reading the owner's manual correctly, AWD only affects whether the front
axles engage, not the rear. Do you have the limited slip rear diff? Have you tested
what happens when you turn off Stabilitrack? Stabilitrack off should give you the
"free-est" wheel motion. How much fluid did you get out/put in the read diff? How
did the old fluid look? Did the new fluid have the limited slip additive?

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm reading the owner's manual correctly, AWD only affects whether the front
axles engage, not the rear. Do you have the limited slip rear diff? Have you tested
what happens when you turn off Stabilitrack? Stabilitrack off should give you the
"free-est" wheel motion. How much fluid did you get out/put in the read diff? How
did the old fluid look? Did the new fluid have the limited slip additive?

Good Luck!

Chris
Thanks Chris for tryinig to help this lost brother out. Here is what I have done so far:
I have changed the transfer case fluid because it should have been done at 50k and I bought the truck at 83k. Since I had it up it just felt to me that the rear wheels were locked so I researched it a bit and most of the help I found said to change the diff fluid. It does have the limited slip diff and when I drain the fluid out it had a "burnt" smell to it. It still had a mild green color. I put Lucas 75-90 synth fluid back in along with the 4oz of slip additive. I got the truck down and took it for a spin. It was suggested that I drive it in a couple of tight figure 8's to get the fluid to work into the limited slips friction pads. I did this in a parking lot for about 20 minutes and the inner wheel was still trying to keep up with the outer wheel. I found a gravel lot so I pulled in there to see what it would do and when I did the right hand figure 8 the right rear wheel dug up the gravel. Changed direction and did the left hand figure 8 and the left wheel did the same. I stopped the truck and tried to make it spin and it would not spin a lick. The thing just snatched up and took off, that is why I am thinking it is still in AWD. The rear diff took 2 quarts of fluid plus the 4oz additive. The transfer case took 2qts as well but I used the Royal Purple Synchromax. Let me know your thoughts, all is very appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If your glove box sticker says you have the G80 automatic locker (not limited slip, although it uses clutch pads for engagement assist), then you might have a mechanical failure of the unit. Easy to find out when you get it on a lift.

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
I believe the Saab was one that always came with the G80.

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I am not sure if I have the G80 or not. I looked at the sticker in the glove box and I have no idea of how to interpet all those numbers. I have it lifted off the ground now and when I start it and put it down in gear ALL 4 wheels move. They do this in D and in R. I took the transfer case motor off to see how that woud affect the front wheels, they stopped moving but the back wheels are still spinning, both sides. Any further suggestions? I went ahead and ordered a new transfer case motor from Advanced Auto, $150.00 with trade in.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
Well I am not sure if I have the G80 or not. I looked at the sticker in the glove box and I have no idea of how to interpet all those numbers.
Nothing to interpret. If you see G80 listed on the sticker... you have a G80 locker. The codes are in alphabetical order, reading from left to right, each code is 3 characters... its pretty simple.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
As far as having the G80, you should see "G80" somewhere in the RPO
list on that little white sticker. No interpretation needed, at least for that
option... :) The code book is needed for all the other alphabet soup, though!
(EDIT: Scooped by gordinho80 while I was distracted by work...)

Regarding the other issues, your transfer case will affect the operation
of the front wheels, not the rear. You will always have 2wd, so the rear wheels
*should* still be spinning with the transfer case motor disconnected.

It does sound as if the AWD is stuck on, but that still doesn't answer the
question of why the rear seems to be locking up. I suspect that the Roadie
is on to the possible reason, assuming you do have the G80.

In that fluid you removed from the rear differential, did you happen to notice
any metallic particles? Green isn't as much of an issue as black and thick, or
showing metallic bits.

Cheers-

Chris

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:) Thanks Gordin. I see the (3) character numbers and digits. Following it through until I get to the "G", all I have is G67 and G86. Does this mean I do have the G80 rear differential?

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris,
There were no metal flakes or anything in the fluid. I did notice that when I removed the diff cover it has a magnet on the inside so I was kind enough to feel to see if it had any debri attached to it as well. It felt fine too.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
No metallic debris is a good sign!

Looks like the G86 is the limited slip differential (I think G67 is the rear
load leveling suspension package). There could still be an issue with the
clutches binding in the rear, but I can't look things up right now. Hopefully
one of the other members with more rear diffferential experience will
chime in here with some other ideas. If I have time later, and the current
storm doesn't knock out our power again, I'll try to find some more info.

Cheers-

Chris

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again Chris. Every where I look online I see that the Saab 97x does have the limited slip so I feel confident in the fact that is what I have. I just found a nail in the rear tire so now I have to fix that while I have it up....:duh: but other than that I am kind of stuck until the transfer case motor shows up tomorrow. Can you tell me if or what sensor informs the transfer case motor to engage the AWD and then to tell it to disnengage it back out? I may just have a bad sensor. Anyways I thank you sir for all the help up to this point.
:thx

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I don't know about the sensor for the AWD switching off hand, but may
be able to figure that out a little later. I suspect it's handled differently than
my 4WD, but don't know enough about it to say definitively, or at least to
describe it accurately. In the mean time, I did find a somewhat relevant
article regarding AWD operation here:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/1500508-post9.html

You have to go past the first bulletin.

Was the tire that had the nail in it low on air? If so, that *can* affect
the way the driveline operates, especially in tight turns.

If I spot something else, I'll chime back in.

Cheers-

Chris

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
:woot:
Thanks again Chris. Every where I look online I see that the Saab 97x does have the limited slip so I feel confident in the fact that is what I have. I just found a nail in the rear tire so now I have to fix that while I have it up....:duh: but other than that I am kind of stuck until the transfer case motor shows up tomorrow. Can you tell me if or what sensor informs the transfer case motor to engage the AWD and then to tell it to disnengage it back out? I may just have a bad sensor. Anyways I thank you sir for all the help up to this point.
:thx
I commented earlier that I also though all the Saab's had a G80 but I also read everywhere that all Buick Rainiers had the G80 but that was only for the first couple years. The editors of the articles and equipment lists seemed to just bring last year's list forward and put this year's model year on it. My point is I also thought I had a G80 in my Rainier and my rpo sheet does not list it either. Did your tire pressure monitoring system let you know you if you had low air from the nail?

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Ok, let's consider what we have (or rather, don't have) when the vehicle is in the air.

You don't have any rolling resistance under any tire.

The AWD transfer cases use a clutch pac to connect the front driveshaft to the engine power.

The clutches operate when slippage is detected between the front and rear wheels.
At that time, the clutches fully engage and max power is sent forward.

When engine power is not required at the front wheels, the clutches release....... almost.

It is my understanding, that when the clutches are released, there is still some torque sent forward.
I believe, around 5% of the engine power is sent forward when the clutches are released.

So, when the vehicle is in the air (remember, no resistance at the tires), the front wheels will turn.
This is normal, imo, you do not need a transfer case encoder motor.

The rear axles. the G86 is the non-locking limited slip rear diff (GM use to call this posi-trac).

And, as with the front, the action can not be tested in the air.
There is always a little friction within the clutch pacs.
This little friction will let both rear wheels turn when the vehicle is in the air.

The old way of freeing the posi-trac clutches, was to change the fluid, add a bottle of additive (available at GM parts counters; however, the Chrysler additive was consider the best).

Then, go to a parking lot and turn figure 8's. Start with big turns, and get smaller as the clutches loosen up.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:thx Thanks for the insightful information Ray. Since I have already purchased the new encoder motor I will be installing it tomorrow. I was kind of thinking about the AWD engaging while it was in the air due to the lack of friction too but I wanted to try it while I had it up. I did change the fluids in both the transfer case and the rear differential. After that fluid change I did go to a parking lot and did some of the figure 8's but I didn't start big to small, I went straight to the small ones. I did this for alomost 20 minutes, 13 miles on the trip and it still did not free up. Tomorrow after I install the new encoder motor I am planning on doing more figure 8's to see if the rear will free up. I am on the E-HOW website now looking to see how I can troubleshoot a limited slip differential. If I learn anything I will share it with you guys. All of you guys have been a great help up to this point now and I do appreciate it all. I will keep you guys posted of my results tomorrow. Thanks to you all..........
Jeff

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Solved.....solved....solved....

:woohoo: SOLVED IT........Thanks guys. I wanted to update you all on the situation as of 15 minutes ago. I picked up the new transfer case motor today at Advanced Auto and I installed it just a few minutes ago. As soon as i let the truck down and backed out of the driveway I knew that the rear wheels were no longer in the locked position.......:excited: So I am not sure of what I did that was the real fix so I will post all the steps that I took.
First thing I did was change the transfer case fluid. I used the Royal Purple Synchromax, 2 quarts of it.
Second thing was I changed the rear differential fluid. I used Lucas 75w-90 synthetic and roughly about 4-5oz of limited slip additive.
Third and lastly I bought a new transfer case motor and installed it. I did notice that when I removed the old transfer case motor, as i removed the last bolt, it springed forward. Like it was in a bind the whole time. Reminding me that it must have had the transfer case locked in the AWD mode. When I got the new motor the paperwork that came with it said that the new motor is already in the 2HI drive mode. I looked at the female spline part of the motor to see how it would line up with the male splined shaft coming out of the transfer case and they would not line up telling me that if the motor was in 2HI drive then the transfer case was in the 4wd mode. I took some plliers and moved the male shaft back to line up with the female splines of the motor and I installed it. So I guess one of those steps unlocked the rear axle and now she is back on the road again.
Thanks to all of you that replied to my post and all the information was very helpful and I hope this information will help someone else out in the future.
Thanks guys...............Jeff 2007 SAAB 97x....Gastonia, NC
:grouphug:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
:First thing I did was change the transfer case fluid. I used the Royal Purple Synchromax, 2 quarts of it.
I looked up that oil and it is advertised for "Manual transmissions that use ATF". The autotrac transfer cases in GM vehicles require a special fluid, AutoTrac II Fluid or equivalent only. Is that the compatible fluid I have heard of?

·
Registered
2007 saab 9_7x
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Bromanjr,
I came across the Royal Purple Synchromax because the Auto Trak II I could not find. I went to Napa, Autozone, Advanced Auto and O'Reilly autos stores and none of them heard of the Auto Trak II. That told me it was "dealer" only and my Saab went down on a Friday afternoon and I needed to try and get it back up an in action fast. Since O'Reilly was my last stop the counter guy there took it upon himself to contact an "oil hotline". I guess it is a number that the parts stores have to ask questions about certain lubes and stuff. The counter guy gave the oil tech the GM number, 12378508 and the Tech interchanged it to the Royal Purple Synchromax. It seems to be working fine for now and I have heard that you could use either the Royal Purple Synchromax, Amsoil has an interchange and also Penzoil. I would have used the GM stuff but I was in a hurry and I thought changing the transfer case fluid would solve my issue. Anyways, I hope this information helps you out.
Thanks

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
It does help, thanks. I don't need the info for my current truck, but many on here have asked and this may clarify another source for the fluid.

I previously had a 2000 Blazer (S10 style) that used the AutoTrac II fluid and was very reasonably priced at the dealer, $7-8/Liter IIRC.

jeffrevis, I was wondering what you paid for the Royal Purple "equivalent" you found?, Also, Is is Blue in color? (I have not confirmed its compatibility)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts