Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have onstar in my car and I always wondered, there are two sets of wires coming from the over head for the rear view mirror, but only one of them plugs in, the other is a small 4 pin connector I believe, does anyone know where that goes

I can get pictures if needed.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,077 Posts
Does your truck have a self dimming rear view mirror feature and temperature readout? Maybe the connector is for one of these features.:undecided

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
You said you have Onstar? It could be for the flat antenna that sticks to the windshield. If that particular plug is not plugged in, I think there is a red light displayed on lower right hand side of the mirror. I bought a Trailblazer that had the windshield replaced and the antenna was not present so the same plug you mentioned is just hanging around.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your truck have a self dimming rear view mirror feature and temperature readout? Maybe the connector is for one of these features.:undecided
Yes I do have the automatic dimming, but it works without it being plugged in.

You said you have Onstar? It could be for the flat antenna that sticks to the windshield. If that particular plug is not plugged in, I think there is a red light displayed on lower right hand side of the mirror. I bought a Trailblazer that had the windshield replaced and the antenna was not present so the same plug you mentioned is just hanging around.
Well I doubt its a antenna as it looks like a connector, just pissing me off because it hangs there..

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Trust me. It's for the antenna. I have two Trailblazers and know exactly what plug you are talking about. There is a wire antenna that sticks to the windshield. It's about 6" or so and has a small female plug attached to it. That's where the plug goes.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Chances are, your windshield got replaced and the antenna never did. Maybe someone else can confirm.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trust me. It's for the antenna. I have two Trailblazers and know exactly what plug you are talking about. There is a wire antenna that sticks to the windshield. It's about 6" or so and has a small female plug attached to it. That's where the plug goes.
Would you mind taking some pictures so I know where to plug it in?

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
I don't know how to post pics here. But if you look at your windshiend from the inside, just behind your rear view mirror is a wire antenna. Similar to some antennas used to get local TV broadcast if you have a deck in you car with TV tuner. You can't miss it. And if you do, that means the antenna is not there and the windshield was most likely replaced. I'll try on the pics.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
This one is of my TB with the antenna, as you can see. The first two pics show my standard wheelbase with Onstar/dimming mirror/compass, but no antenna to plug into because the winshield was replaced before I bought it. Sorry pics are so huge.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if it was replaced before, but I just had it replaced today, and I always noticed it but never really cared, but its getting my nerves just chillin there.

Before I swapped out the HU onstar worked though?

--

Had to replace it because of this thread:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=42975

Finally got around to it.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
The first two pics I took are of my standard wheelbase TB with replaced windshield(obviously, they did not replace the antenna). The last pic is from my EXT with the plug attached to the antenna. The antenna looks like a wire strip "taped" to the windshield located right behind the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
I looked at the pics on your thread and it looks like you never had an antenna to begin with. My guess is that the windshield has been replaced before. As for the Onstar working without that plug being connected, I can press the Onstar button on my standard wheelbase and a prerecorded voice comes on still. Unless you are saying that your Onstar is activated and works properly, this windshield antenna may only inhibit some features of Onstar, as there is a standard antenna at the rear quarter of the truck also. But, I can't say for certain....my Onstar is not activated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts