Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Trailblazer rear glass shattered. Around 2am, my wife and I awoke to what sounded like a beer bottle being thrown at our hose. As I went outside to check, I heard another shattering sound. As I opened my front door, I saw the rear glass had been shattered. The TB was reversed into my garage and my front gate was closed. I went to the gate and looked up an down and no other cars around and no one walking up or down the street. Has anyone had the rear glass shatter like that before? What do you think may have caused? The rear strong arms for the glass was replaced maybe 6 years ago. We haven't driven the TB all day and it wasn't too hot during the day. Gonna replace the glass but kinda don't want it happening again. Especially if my wife and son are out and about. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Looks like a thermal or pressure breakage... not an impact. That the break follows the seal - that's just odd.

I can ask my auto glass buddy when he gets home. He had a business in SoCal and he's seen everything I betcha!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a thermal or pressure breakage... not an impact. That the break follows the seal - that's just odd.

I can ask my auto glass buddy when he gets home. He had a business in SoCal and he's seen everything I betcha!
Yes, please ask your buddy.. Only things in the TB were 2 pairs of my wife's heels, my flashlight, some CD's and a car air freshener. Replacement gonna cost me $500 (insurance pays the rest) and I'd hate to have to pay that again. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
321 Posts
My glass buddy said it looks like a mighty hard slam. He discounted heat because it would crack lengthwise, not around the sealing gasket and frame area. BTW-- he says $500 is all it should cost.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
49 Posts
Similiar happened to my 05 envoy about 10 yrs ago. It exploded outward with a loud bang. Glass was mostly on the outside, not inside. It was backed up to my garage, no evidence of it getting hit with an object. I bought it used 3 yrs old and a couple of the rear defroster lines didnt work. My guess is that the rear glass was hit from the inside prior to my ownership, maybe a ladder or something, and it had a hairline crack or some other type of imperfection. 1 day it was sitting outside and just exploded maybe from pressure change. I replaced it and never had the problem again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi that’s happen to me too, the only thing different it was completely shattered into small peaces, it was during last winter in my way to work, it was too cold so I assume that’s because the cold and as I remember the rear defroster was ON. And as Ravalli Surfer says when I call some auto glass shops they said it will cost from 450 to 500.
But what I did I went to pull a part and get a used one for around 45$, yes just 45 but sure I did all the work myself.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
Same thing happened to my 03. Trying to put a new one and nothing fit. Found the welds broken on the hinges. That’s what caused the window to explode! The broken welds caused the inner skin of the door to push out onto the window. I had to get a new gate with window from a wrecking yard. It was about $200. I will try to send pics of the weld on here.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
49 Posts
Yes mine also shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces, not like the pic that started this thread

·
Registered
321 Posts
I worked on a 2011 Pontiac F-Bird that the owner decided to take the tint off the back hatch - which is all glass.

His scraping the tint off caused a few of the defrost wires to break and that left a lot more current for the remanding heater elements.

The glass hatch cracked parallel to all the working heater elements and it crumbled into the back seat of the car.

There are no replacement all-glass hatches left in the whole world for that car. It was a limited production run and all the others that needed glass before him got to the goods first.

I just came back from testing all the elements on my rear window and fortunately, all of them are intact and carry current so I won't get localized hot spots.

Anyway ---> I don't see a problem quite like yours - I'm just spitballiung this information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts