Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,217 Posts
That's GREAT! I might do mine now...all inspired... mine's a 2002 too, made before GM started using that gasket. It being white, I got away with slipping small squares of teflon sheet around the perimeter every 4-6 inches, from the outside, to keep the edge off the paint. Did that about 2 weeks after I bought it before GM even acknowledged there was a paint chipping problem, so the paint isn't damaged. Read about that on Edmund’s as I recall, and sure enough mine was going to start digging into the paint if I didn’t do something. Noticed dirt and grit was getting behind it along the edge and grinding into the paint too. Nice design.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
Are you kidding? its freezing outside! 66 degrees man... I had to put a shirt on.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
92 Posts
Thanks Jimmy, great job! One question, the black push pin your refer to, where is it and how do you get it out? With the glass open, I saw what looked like a hole about 1" to the left of the lock, is that what your referring to?

Thanks again!

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Dshow said:
Thanks Jimmy, great job! One question, the black push pin your refer to, where is it and how do you get it out? With the glass open, I saw what looked like a hole about 1" to the left of the lock, is that what your referring to?
yeah, there should be a black pushpin in there

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
tb05 said:
Thats when we take our shirts off....:rotfl:
I know the feeling, Seattle weather is pretty cool and always raining!

Thanks for the pics jimmy! I like the red on your TB, really nice!:yes: Now that I know what the gasket is, I dont have one because mine is an earlty 02, and there is a tiny paint chip on the bottom of the main tailgate. This weekend I will go ahead and wash the TB, get the gasket, and touch the paint up.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
just want to add that I took the oportunity to remove the handle on the glass and put a couple coats of black spraypaint on it. looks MUCH better. I don't know about you other '02 owners but mine was turning grey and no amount of mothers back-to-black would make it stay black for more than a few hours.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
jimmyjam said:
just want to add that I took the oportunity to remove the handle on the glass and put a couple coats of black spraypaint on it. looks MUCH better. I don't know about you other '02 owners but mine was turning grey and no amount of mothers back-to-black would make it stay black for more than a few hours.
Good idea, I might have to do this as well this weekend.:D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks Jimmyjam for the pics! Today I started taking care of this on my '02 Envoy, and the job went smoothly. I say “started” because I put on several coats of touch-up primer and I’m waiting until tomorrow before I’ll go over it with the actual paint. I figured I better cover up all that rubbed-off paint before they start salting the roads!

I'll add a couple of tips:

-You will need a deep-well 10mm socket to remove the 7 nuts holding the plate holder to the liftgate.

-Since there was already corrosion forming on some of the latch parts I doused them with spray lube and white grease in an attempt to ward off any further corrosion.

-Place a rag or rug over the latch so if the liftgate should happen to close, the latch won't catch; a slight inconvenience if you've already removed the handle. This might have happened to me and I might have had to crawl inside to work the latch and open the door. :eek:

-I replaced the license plate lamps with long-life bulbs since they're super easy to get to with the plate holder removed.

Overall this has been an easy project. A good way to save $60 (what the dealer charges to replace/add the gasket). Oh yeah, almost forgot... the part # for the gasket is 15170981, and it runs about $10.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Was I the only one who couldn't get the *#(@#!$%! tailgate strap to come off? what # torx bit did you use for that thing? mine did have some lock-tite on it but still thats no excuse for stripping the head...
maybe i"m just too powerful for my own good...

as far as the latch goes, you should be able to pull the release from the outside with that plastic piece removed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
jimmyjam said:
Was I the only one who couldn't get the *#(@#!$%! tailgate strap to come off? what # torx bit did you use for that thing? mine did have some lock-tite on it but still thats no excuse for stripping the head...
maybe i"m just too powerful for my own good...
I used a T27 bit. As I was unscrewing it, it did something weird and started making a clicking/popping noise right about the time I expected the screw to be free. I'm thinking maybe this small retainer had a lot to do with that:

You'll notice there's plenty of loctite on the threads too. I was expecting the screw to just come out, but this retainer holds it in place, so it just spins even when it's all the way out of its bore. It makes it hard to tell either if the screw is coming out or if something is broken. Even with the screw all the way out I did have to give the strap a healthy yank to actually get it free.

jimmyjam said:
as far as the latch goes, you should be able to pull the release from the outside with that plastic piece removed.
Well, yes but what I did was shut the tailgate too forcefully after I'd disabled the mechanism (disconnected the red part in your pics) but before I removed the 7 nuts and the holder itself. Don't ask why I had to shut the gate...I'll just say it got cold outside when the wind started blowing and I moved into the garage mid-project. The high was only 45°F today--all this talk about 66° makes me sad! :cry:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
92 Posts
Tech Articles?

Can this be added to the Tech Articles section because this is a frequent repair?

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
he, he...
I just changed that gasket... and let me tell you it's e-a-s-y :D

It took me way longer to clean the mess from the previous gasket with goof off than the actual change.

After I installed (and tighten those bolts hard enough) I noticed that the amount of plastic that gasket bites in the top corners is about half of the bottom corners.. I think this is a simple design error but this could easily be solved by a thicker gasket cause if it could grab to the plastic piece better there is no way that gasket would move..

I don't think it has to do with thermal expansion of the door and the plastic piece, I think its the gasket material.. it simply shrinks too much. I noticed that when I brought it inside (my garage is freezing cold) and re-installed a few minutes after... suddenly I had like 3/4" more than when I installed in in the garage... Anyway this doesn't solve the problem..

GM are you listening??

Bye
Gaspar

21 - 40 of 46 Posts