Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a white '04 Envoy, And the seal that goes around the "liscence plate panel" on the rear hatch is black and really stands out! I've seen a couple of Trailblazers and Envoys without it. If I take mine off, will it leak water into my SUV? Do you think it would be safe to do?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
113 Posts
I have had mine replaced once, and getting ready to have it replaced again. Not really sure if it needs to be there or not though.

JD

·
Registered
872 Posts
jdits7 said:
I have had mine replaced once, and getting ready to have it replaced again. Not really sure if it needs to be there or not though.

JD

Why did you have it replaced? I noticed on mine that it looks like he seal is coming out in a couple of places. Anybody of you other guys have problems with this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had it replaced because it was sucked in almost halfway around the thing. Basically it just looked horrible. Not sure if it was actually leaking anything or not. I will have to ask when I get it replaced again.

JD

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,311 Posts
I had the dealer replace that same seal.. just have them redo it.that way you wont have to worry about leaking at all.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
License plate panel gasket

So far at two years and 15K miles on the '03 Envoy my gasket is still okay. It does spend quite a bit of time in the garage. Could this problem be weather related? Too much sun or ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,
Thanks for all of the info, I was just curious if the gasket was needed because my Envoy is white and that gasket really stands out! I just wanted to know if I could remove it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't remove the gasket!

Here's the deal with the gasket around the license plate frame: if you remove it, then the license plate frame will rub the paint off the tailgate!

I have a really, really early Trailblazer. It's a 2002 that I bought in July 2001. Back then, they didn't come with the frame gasket. When I took the car out in the morning, and the sun hit the backend, the tailgate would pop and crack. That was the metal and plastic expanding at different rates. Within about a month, all of the paint around the edge of the license plate frame had rubbed off. So, the dealer repainted it, and then re-seated the plate frame. Two months later, same thing. All of the paint was gone. By then, GM had figured out the problem and had added the gasket to all of the new models and put out instructions to fix the old one. So, the dealer repainted again, and added the gasket. No more paint problems and no more popping and cracking.

Since then, I had the dealer re-seat the gasket 3 times. It kept on getting "sucked under" the frame after a few months. This didn't cause any problems, it just looked bad. I eventually went to another dealer who properly seated it and it's been okay for the past two years.

I know this is late, but I hope this helps someone. I'd hate to see someone else get the paint scraped off the tailgate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
License Plate Gasket - Need Repair Procedure

The gasket getting sucked behind the license plate piece is a VERY common problem for Trailblazers/Envoys.... (Note the 3 pages of discussion over at Automotive Forums: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=272392&highlight=license+plate+gasket)

I have an '03 Trailblazer and it has been replaced 3x. Since my warranty is about to expire, could someone post a repair proceedure in the Technical Articles section on how to replace myself?

Thanks in advance and great forum!!

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
THATS why the paint is all chipped around my license plate holder! I remember people talking about the gasket and wondering what they were talking about. i need to fix this...

I'll look into removing the interior panelling this weekend, I'll take some pics.

Anyone have a P/N for the gasket?

·
Registered
710 Posts
jimmyjam said:
THATS why the paint is all chipped around my license plate holder! I remember people talking about the gasket and wondering what they were talking about. i need to fix this...

I'll look into removing the interior panelling this weekend, I'll take some pics.
You can count on jimmy jam to take the TB apart ALL THE WAY to fix it!:yes: I'm glad you are here, jimmyjam, 'cause I hate to take my interior apart.:yes:

·
Banned
2005 gmc trailblazer_lt
515 Posts
Mine isn't pulling in, it is "leaking" out. When the sun hit it on hot summer days it would almost drip out, at the end of the day I would find small balls that I could rub off.

·
Registered
710 Posts
FWIW, the gasket reacts to the dissimilar properties of the plastic and the metal. Since the metal is in the larger outer piece, it will heat up faster than the plastic insert where the plate is mounted. The temp. disparities (sp) will either draw the gasket in or push it out. According to a buddy of mine, there is no real fix , just keep replacing the gasket as needed. :m2: :yes:

·
Registered
92 Posts
License Plate Gasket Replacement TSB

The last time they replaced my gasket, I had the tech give me a
copy of the TSB... I have not done this and am not sure how to get to the license plate panel...

Rear License Plate Pocket Perimeter Gasket
Loose or Out of Position (Install New Gasket Using Updated Retainer Tightening Sequence)

#04-08-66-001A - (Oct 1,2004)
Rear License Plate Pocket Perimeter Gasket Loose or Out Of Position (Install New Gasket Using
Updated Retainer Tightening Sequence)

2004-2005 Buick Rainier
2002-2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2002-2005 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

This bulletin is being revised to add a model, model year and update the parts information. Please
discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-08-66-001 (Section 08

·
Registered
92 Posts
TSB

The previous post cut off the instructions..?

Rear License Plate Pocket Perimeter Gasket
Loose or Out of Position (Install New Gasket Using Updated Retainer Tightening Sequence)

#04-08-66-001A - (Oct 1,2004)
Rear License Plate Pocket Perimeter Gasket Loose or Out Of Position (Install New Gasket Using
Updated Retainer Tightening Sequence)

2004-2005 Buick Rainier
2002-2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2002-2005 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

This bulletin is being revised to add a model, model year and update the parts information. Please
discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-08-66-001 (Section 08 — Body & Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a loose or out of position rear license plate pocket perimeter gasket.

Correction
Technicians are to replace the rear license plate pocket perimeter gasket using the following procedure:
1. Remove the rear license plate pocket assembly. Refer to the License Plate Pocket Replacement
procedure in the Body and Accessories section of SI.
2. Remove the rear license plate pocket perimeter gasket.
3. Install a new rear license plate pocket perimeter gasket onto the rear license plate pocket.
4. Install the rear license plate pocket. Refer to the License Plate Pocket Replacement procedure in
the Body and Accessories section of SI. Modify the tightening sequence in step 4 of the
installation procedure as follows:
• Push the entire rear license plate pocket assembly upward in the opening of the liftgate.
Inspect the perimeter gasket to see if it is properly retained.

Tighten
Tighten the rear license plate pocket assembly retaining nuts to 5 N-m (44 Ib in) in the
following order.

• Tighten the upper left retaining nut first.
• Tighten the upper right retaining nut second.
• Tighten the three lower retaining nuts in any order.

Parts Information
Part Number Description Qty
15170981 Seal, Liftgate 0/S Pull Handle (All Except Rainier) 1
89045647 Seal, Liftgate 0/S Pull Handle (Rainier Only) 1

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
I'll going to fix this crap this weekend. I'll take pics. Thanks for the part number broseph

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
jimmyjam said:
I'll going to fix this crap this weekend. I'll take pics. Thanks for the part number broseph
Please take some pics, as Im still not exactly if I have the gasket or not. If I dont, I will pull it apart and see if it is rubbing, but I havent had any paint chips yet.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
OK, did the deed today.
First step is to take off the paneling. Open the glass. to the left of the lock there is a black push pin. take that out. close the glass and open the tailgate.
yank off the top part of the paneling. it just pops out. Then remove the strap using a Torx driver. mine REFUSED to come out and I stripped it. I was pissed so I took a vice grip to it and busted it off. Good luck with this.

The rest of the panel just pops off.

Remove 7 nuts circled (and pointed to) in the picture. Unplug the license plate light.

Disconnect the tailgate handle from the popping mechanism as shown. Push the plastic part a little and it should be loose. Go outside your car and pull it out.

Put the rubber U seal around the edge of the plastic piece. trim any excess. Push hard against the plastic to make contact (there is gooey black stuff inside the U channel). You may want to touch up any scratched paint around the edge of the tailgate if you had this problem. Don't worry about making it perfect as the rubber seal will cover it.

Whammy! Reinstall whatever you took out and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts