Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 02 Trailblazer EXT 4x4 LT. Didn't know the glass opened separately from the liftgate until after I got it home. When I did, I found out the glass had separated from the hinge on one side. What's the best way to repair this? Can the glass and hinges be removed easily to make the repair easier to do?

I did some searching here but didn't see anything that addressed this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is glued. Looks like the metal bar running between the 2 hinges is tweaked a little, so I guess I'll have to straighten it out too. The plastic piece surrounding the CHMSL is cracked where the 2 bolts insert into it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be - I just bought it yesterday. I think it was sitting on the lot for about 6 months or more (the online description said something about winter is here, perfect time to buy a 4x4 :) ).

The glue residue is still a little tacky. I think I'm gonna try to clean it off and then put some adhesive on there and see how that works.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Could be - I just bought it yesterday. I think it was sitting on the lot for about 6 months or more (the online description said something about winter is here, perfect time to buy a 4x4 :) ).

The glue residue is still a little tacky. I think I'm gonna try to clean it off and then put some adhesive on there and see how that works.
If you bought it yesterday the lot should fix it. Almost all states have a 72 hr. law about vehicles.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
You must be thinking about door-to-door sales. If a vehicle is sold 'As Is - All Sales Final - No Warranty", there is no warranty.
Most states do have a very short time limit with dealers and warranty. Check your state laws and they do vary.
Example, Oregon: Implied Warranties — Oregon laws say that a dealer has implied obligations, such as the soundness of the vehicle. In some states, however, dealers can get around implied warranties by selling the vehicle "as is."

I got a transmission rebuilt the second day after I bought a vehicle with no warrantee from a dealer.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,232 Posts
Most states...
The states that do not allow "As Is-All Sales Final" (no warranty) are Vermont, Maryland, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Minnesota, Mississippi, Kansas, New Jersey, New York, West Virginia, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia. 12 states plus D.C. is not "Most". Best to check with your State to be sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried Automotive Amazing Goop today and the glass and hinge separated as soon as I tried closing the glass.

At least the glass was rather easy to get off so I could clean the hinge and glass real good and clamp it after gluing.

Guess I'll try to find something else to try for next weekend.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think rearview mirror adhesive would work because the adhesive has to be applied in a thick coat. There are 3 bumps on the metal hinge that leaves the metal surface maybe 1mm away from the glass. I went with 2 part epoxy and it seems to be working. I had to do some bending on the hinges as well as the metal plates that attach to ends of the plastic. I also put some of the epoxy on those end holes that had cracked. Now everything is lined up close to the factory position. The hinge is holding. No more rubbing when opening the liftgate. And unless you are looking, you would not notice the plastic cap is not lined up exactly on the outside. Before I fixed it, there was probably a 1 inch gap at the top.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
52 Posts
I just had the same problem. One hinge came dettached when my wife opened the glass. It seemed to be caused by the top trim moving out of position and not allowing the glass to open completely. I tried epoxy (with good clamping). It held for a while, but came off again. I called an autoglass shop and was told that the glass comes to them with the hinges already attached, so they cannot reglue it for me. I then called my insurance company and (much to my surprise) they are covering it as a comprehensive claim. That means a new rear windshield, and a new top aplique, at no cost ($0 deductable). :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.