Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other day , I noticed the passenger side rear door handle on our '04 Envoy was loose .
Not just the lever portion , but the complete handle , base and all .

Investigated from the outside and found it was still holding on toward the top .
Removed the inside door panel and sound proofing to find that the bracket that is suppose to secure the handle to the body had rusted in half . The lower half had fallen to the bottom of the door .

Hmm , Saturday afternoon ... No junk yards open and highly doubtful that particular part would be available from a general auto parts store .
I figured I could easily make a suitable bracket if I had a piece of flat stock . I looked around , but , couldn't find what I thought might make the ideal bracket .
What else ??? I kept an old license plate for the nicely workable material they are made of . Kind of thin stock , but , it might just work if I double the thickness .
Measured what was left of the old bracket and added how much I thought was missing , then cut a couple strips from the plate . Put them flat together and bent them to match the old bracket . Drilled a hole for the hold down bolt on the handle and test fit them . Just a slight bit of trimming and the 'new' bracket fit perfectly .

Installed and working as it should with no slop involved . :)

The silver part in the pic below is the part I 'reproduced' . The portion directly under the nut , albeit not nearly as elaborate as GMC stamped out . I left the portion to the right off . There seems to be no ill effects .

·
Super Moderator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks flyboy . :)
Just thought I'd share a fairly simple fix .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue in my 09 blazer. and i use a 4 hole 90 degree angle bracket from home depot, i made it flat using a hummer and use one of its ready made holes to do the fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
these are the codes off a 2005 LS. Likely the same for the blazer line if years. rear passenger door handle retainer bracket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts