Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you push on the rear fender, the car body moves back and forth 12 inches. It started doing this right after I got my yearly PA inspection.??

·
Registered
4 Posts
The whole body?

When you say back and forth, you mean front to back or left to right?

Is the frame moving with the body?

Either way, being a fellow rust belt resident I imagine you have something seriously rusted through, which shouldn't have passed inspection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whole body?

When you say back and forth, you mean front to back or left to right?

Is the frame moving with the body?

Either way, being a fellow rust belt resident I imagine you have something seriously rusted through, which shouldn't have passed inspection.
It moves left to right, as though the rear end of the car is no longer attached to the frame.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't --- make that I cannot visualize that you can shift the vehicle body 12 inches without the tires stopping anything from moving --- those fender wells are pretty narrow (mine rub ever-so-slightly when I hit small off center bumps) and no way can I think you can get 12 inches of movement.

You got bicycle wheels on the back?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wheels and the frame are not moving - just the body. I looked underneath and didn’t see anything suspicious.
I noticed the day before the inspection that the ca
I don't --- make that I cannot visualize that you can shift the vehicle body 12 inches without the tires stopping anything from moving --- those fender wells are pretty narrow (mine rub ever-so-slightly when I hit small off center bumps) and no way can I think you can get 12 inches of movement.

It looked like 12 inches when I first noticed it - but after further study, it’s around 4 inches. The guy who’s going to look at it Tuesday said not to crawl under it or drive it. It might be a broken strut?.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheels and the frame are not moving - just the body. I looked underneath and didn’t see anything suspicious.

It looked like 12 inches when I first noticed it - but after further study, it’s around 4 inches. The guy who’s going to look at it Tuesday said not to crawl under it or drive it. It might be a broken strut?o

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It looked like 12 inches when I first noticed it - but after further study, it’s around 4 inches. The guy who’s going to look at it Tuesday said not to crawl under it or drive it. It might be a broken strut?o
I got it inspected and a new “driver” took it out to do a test drive. After he brought it back, the power steering wouldn’t work? And the wishy washy back end started. ?? I can’t visualize what the rear suspension looks like.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Sounds like you're on a car repair taxi ride.

They're breaking more things before they give it back to you?

Was this "driver" smoking any thing that the authorities should know about? Were the tires still smoking?

IMHO .... you're getting hosed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you're on a car repair taxi ride.

They're breaking more things before they give it back to you?

Was this "driver" smoking any thing that the authorities should know about? Were the tires still smoking?

IMHO .... you're getting hosed.
I crawled under the back end of the car and saw that the “Panhard” bar was broken right in the middle. While I was under there, I pushed the rear end bavk and forth - saw the gap in the bar. Not sure of what you call that horizontal bar that is bolted to the left and right portions of the suspension. I’ve never had an SUV before and I had no idea what was wrong. Thanks for your help, Trailvoy guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I crawled under the back end of the car and saw that the “Panhard” bar was broken right in the middle. While I was under there, I pushed the rear end bavk and forth - saw the gap in the bar. Not sure of what you call that horizontal bar that is bolted to the left and right portions of the suspension. I’ve never had an SUV before and I had no idea what was wrong. Thanks for your help, Trailvoy guys.
I have spent $5000 on this car in 3 years. New trans cooling lines, new power steering lines, new power steering radiator, new rack and pinion steering unit, new rotors and brake pads, new throttle body, etc etc etc. But I like this free and gold car a lot. 130000 miles on it now, 97000 when I bought it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have spent $5000 on this car in 3 years. New trans cooling lines, new power steering lines, new power steering radiator, new rack and pinion steering unit, new rotors and brake pads, new throttle body, etc etc etc. But I like this free and gold car a lot. 130000 miles on it now, 97000 when I bought it.
I was wrong about the body moving over the frame - I was so pissed off when I discovered the sway, I wasn’t thinking right

·
Registered
697 Posts
I was wrong about the body moving over the frame - I was so pissed off when I discovered the sway, I wasn’t thinking right
No problem - it happens when we over (or under-) react and shoot off some of our toes in a quick draw that didn't quite make it outta the holster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check the rear trailing arms . Mine rotted out and I had the same thing happen.
The service manager of the “Fixanycar” garage said he couldn’t find a replacement “track” bar anywhere and that no one makes them for an ‘06 Trailblazer any more. He and I both tried calling people for an hour. Finally, he said he could get one from Moog, for $145, but it would take a week. I wanted to get the car running again as soon as possible, so I told him to go ahead and order it. A track bar didn’t sound like a part I would want to take off a junkyard car, because it would probably be rusted and it would break like the original one did. I have bought 50-60 different mechanical junkyard parts in my life, but not a suspension part.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
87 Posts
That's awfully rare. How much did you know about this before you bought it? Sounds like a rear wheel took one heck of a hit from the side. Enough to break or bend a wheel. Like it was sliding sideways and hit a curb. With all the other repairs you had to do, I would think that thing was in a pretty bad accident.
If that was the case, I'd be worried about a bent rear-end housing, or the condition of the wheel bearings, and other parts on one side of the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts