Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4 door 4X4. About 75% of the time when someone (or myself) tries to get into either of the two rear doors they won't open. You can pull up on the handles over and over and the door(s) won't open unless you either open them from the inside or push in a little against the door while using the outside handle. Then they will open. Any ideas of what is wrong and how to fix this? Are there cables that need adjusted or replaced? :weird:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
376 Posts
Happens to mine also. About every six months, I spray my latches (the part that contacts the door jamb) with WD-40. Solves the problem completely. Six months later, it happens again.

I have read of people replacing the handles, only to have it happen again. Try the WD. I bet it will fix it.

Bill

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just soaked all four of the latches down. The back one's still seemed as though I had to pull the handle almost all the way off before it opened the door. Maybe the WD needs to soak. We'll see! :undecided

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
you sure you dont have those annoying child locks on?? sometimes they get bumped in the lock position when getting out

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check that. It didn't matter which position there in. The outside handles hardley open the doors unless you almost rip them off the door. Of course I haven't done that but it feels as though that could happen.

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
268 Posts
my drivers side rear door has been that way since it was new.......when I put slight inward pressure on the door as you pull the latch up it works, so I kinda just worked around the problem instead of getting it fixed while the car was under warranty..........like I should have , I will try some wd-40 tomorrow to see how that works

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Try getting from 303 Aerospace protectant and condition all your weatherstripping. I bet the doors are sticking to the weather stripping.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
you sure you dont have those annoying child locks on?? sometimes they get bumped in the lock position when getting out
Um, The child safety locks keep the door from opening from the inside. Not the outside. Like cop cars. (Not that I'd know about that. :eek:)

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
325 Posts
Sticky rear doors ... funny, I have the exact same vehicle and exact same problem. I just used some general purpose lube on the latches and they work fine now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happens to mine also. About every six months, I spray my latches (the part that contacts the door jamb) with WD-40. Solves the problem completely. Six months later, it happens again.

I have read of people replacing the handles, only to have it happen again. Try the WD. I bet it will fix it.

Bill
The WD 40 saved the day!! Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
306 Posts
Sticky rear doors ... funny, I have the exact same vehicle and exact same problem. I just used some general purpose lube on the latches and they work fine now.
Do that^ . WD40 is a very short term lube ( like a couple minutes worth ) if that much .
WD = Water Displacement .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts