Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an 02TB with 153k on it. I’ve serviced the front diff myself but the rear plug is rounded out, I got a quote for shop to do it for 130$. Should I do that or just disregard? I’m planning on keeping the vehicle for atleast another 1.5 years. Thanks

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,038 Posts
If you really want to change the gear lube in the rear differential, if you cannot get the drain plug out, simply remove the differential cover. To fill the differential after draining it, if the fill plug is rounded out, you can always use the differential vent tube. It will take longer, but it can be done. FYI, my fill plug is stuck solid!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
311 Posts
I find that it helps to use a short 3/8" extension and grind the end down flat. It will sit deeper in the plug that way. Good luck! New plugs aren't too expensive, so I would definitely replace it if you get it out.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thanks. Considering all the Kroil and various tools & stripped fastener removers, the next step involves a cutting torch to get enough heat in order to bust the rust. I might even try using some paraffin wax along with the torch. I already have the replacement plug.

·
Registered
2004 isuzu ascender
5 Posts
Can you put a pipe wrench on the plug? Once upon a time I had to remove a 18 mm screw on the caliper bracket that some mechanic had rounded off with a 19 mm socket and of all the ways I tried to remove a rounded screw, the pipe wrench worked best. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
On mine, no.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts