Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 TB 4x4, 176000km.

I have noticed a increasing whirring/grinding sound from the rear end, and it´s starting to worrying me.

The sound starts at about 10mph and continues all the way up, a "pulsating" sound...kind of hard to describe.

It does not matter if it´s in 2wd or 4wd mode and does not change if i turn the vehicle.

can it be the rear diff, bearings?

Please help me!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Could be diff, axle bearings, pinion gear bearing. Was the diff oil changed at 100K miles as recommended?

You need to look inside the diff, and also get the vehicle on a lift and turn the wheels and listen and feel for the grinding.

Not much that people on a remote Internet forum can do except give you a list of parts that you can already guess might be the problem. Gotta get the vehicle physically inspected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, some news...

I went to the lokal chevrolet dealer and left the truck there, so that they could find out what´s wrong with it.

Got the call from them...they say that all of the bearings/gaskets in the rear axel/diff including the pinion bearing have to be changed.

And the price tag: about 2000usd...i´m stunned...that´s alot of money...

Is this resonable?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Was the diff oil level low? How can ALL the bearings go out without damaging the gears?

Was the level ever checked? Was the oil changed at 100K miles? (I know your mileage is about 100K.)

I don't think ANY of us would pay a dealer for that kind of repair, but (except for your location) for $500 maximum you could find an entire axle at a recycler (junkyard) and change it in about 4 hours yourself. Do you have any junkyards and mechanics besides the dealer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Checked with junkyards in Sweden, not many rear axels to be found with the G80.
Axels found where in questionable condition and a hefty price tag of 1300usd, including shipping.

So i went to the local chevrolet dealer insted, they changed about everything but the outer wheel bearings.

Price tag: 1850usd

It's ok, one year warranty feels reassuring.

Thanx for the help roadie! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts