Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family recently drove our '04 TB LT with rear seat DVD on vacation. Besides losing some sanity with having three 4-year olds in the same car :bonk:, everything went as well as can be expected...except keeping everyone's headphones plugged in. We used a splitter so the two kids in the third row could use head phones too. The main problem was the slitters kept getting unplugged by someone in the second row pulling or accidentally stepping on all of the cords. Long story short...I would like to install separate headphone jacks for the kids who sit in the third row. I thought about splicing new wire into the exisiting jacks in the rear control assembly and installing new jacks from these splices. I would appreciate any help, ideas or other thoughts. I successfully installed a FM modulator in the same truck last week, so I'm feeling confident that I can do what is needed myself.
Thanks a lot for your time!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I would just solder onto the existing rear jacks. No need for a schematic or anything that way.

Alternatively, for 4 year olds, you could install a 1" thick lexan taxi security barrier and just let them listen to the speakers. Stops the ubiquitous seatback kicking as well.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm liking the taxi barrier idea. Open the sliding window to occasionally toss back some juice boxes and snacks. :)

Out of my ignorance, what wire gauge should I use when running the new wire for the jacks? Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Headphones take almost no current. You could use 32 AWG if you had it in stock. 26-28 is a typical gauge to find in Radio Shack. Just look how thin iPod earphone cords are. Shielded is better, for those 4 year old audiophiles and their discerning ears.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
152 Posts
Headphones take almost no current. You could use 32 AWG if you had it in stock. 26-28 is a typical gauge to find in Radio Shack. Just look how thin iPod earphone cords are. Shielded is better, for those 4 year old audiophiles and their discerning ears.
Hi roadie,

How about a headphone jack in the front? My '02 voy has the factory radio (onstar, no bose). On those long hauls from NC <-> NY the wife likes to listen to audio books and sometimes falls asleep listening to it:sleepy:. I don't want to hear any of it. I'm thinking of installing an earphone jack somewhere... but where?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You would have to interrupt all the speaker wires in the factory harness. Easier to get her an ipod or portable CD player. You can get portable DVD players for under $100 that also play CDs. Might solve two problems at once.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
The roadie may be a little busy this morning, but I can talk to you while we wait for him. HAHA, after I posted I see he has been here and gone. He is fast

One of the audio experts may have some new toy that would help, but here is my :m2:

I think you you could approach this two ways, the problem is that the speakers (and the drivers) are used for the warning chimes (even when the radio is turned off.

The quick way is to pull the radio and splice into the speaker leads coming out of the rear connector. The connector has circuits for left and right front, and left and right rear.
I would use the rear leads (l and r), use jacks that will disable the speakers when the phones are plugged in.
To use, simply adjust the fader control to the rear.
Problem: she will hear the warning chimes, you will not.

The 2nd way is to duplicate the wiring the factory would use for the rear audio controls.
A bit more complex and a bit more expensive, but things would work as factory designed.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
152 Posts
Thanks guys for the good advice. I might even be able to pick a pair of speakers, say RF and RR and splice in behind the door panels and use the BALANCE control. That way I don't have to pull the radio.

Thanks again for the help. Thats what I was looking for.:thx

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
211 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
152 Posts
If your DVD player is the OEM.. you should at least be able to get 2 wireless headphones. Hopefully it your system is compatible with wireless headset so you don't have to mess with wires.

Looking at the part number I came across:
http://www.amazon.com/Set-Headphones-Part-15762534-sku/dp/B002IXFKCK

http://compnine.com/index.php?u=1&y...delid=7138&capuid=1&majorgroup=09&grouptype=B
As Jackie Chan said, "Stop helping me!". Read above. Its a stock radio CD player not a DVD player. I don't think remote headphones with isolating volume control is an option. Thanks anyway I do appreciate all responses, but all I need convenient spot to splice in an an audio jack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.