Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta say I am alittle fed up with the cost of fixing this vehicle lately. Unfortunatly I still owe 2,400 on my loan so I guess I will be fixing it again... Anyways... The Air Compressor will not automatically kick on. The Rear Compartment compressor switch does turn on and work but the pump does not fill the Air Suspension when I start the Envoy. I spoke to my coussin who is a mechanic and he told me he believes it is a loose wire or the Auto Leveling Sensor. So I have 2 questions.....
1.) Where is the leveling Sensor Located?
2.) If I were to replace the Air shocks with Springs...Which Springs do I buy if I am also going to put new Bilstein Hd's in?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Sensor is behnd the upper part of the tire in the wheel well. Pics have been posted.

Springs can be any of the stiffer of the dozen available from GM, or just buy the Arnott replacements and be done with them forever.

Your problem could also be a valve in the compressor assembly or the sensor electronics.

You've been very lucky with a 2002 to last this long.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't last that long..

I replaced it at 63,000 miles. $683.00 at the Chevy DealerShip. Sooo Yeah... I dont' want to go that route again.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
39 Posts
Compressor does not operate

I posted in another thread but I guess no one is there to read or respond. I have the same problem with the rear compressor not working- but in the rear cargo area, the switch light does NOT come on nor does the compressor activate when I start the vehicle. It did not make alot of noise before this and I checked, and replaced, the 30 AMP fuse just in case. I have a Haynes manual which has NOTHING on the ECAS system. Does anyone have the shop manual section which has this info? Need help from someone who knows this system and it's ghosts. Rear end is level witrh vehicle but not up as usual, so......may have to bypass compressor and do the Y splitter thing and fill it from inside as the $5 fix. Don't feel like parting with $$ for new compressor or conversion kit right now. Just got new air bags 2 years ago.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
349 Posts
As roadie mentioned, another option is to replace the air bags with factory parts. That's what I did on my truck over 2 years ago, and have had no issues since.

Here are the part numbers I used:
Springs: 15948009
Jounce Bumpers: 15159697
Insulators: 15765071

Around $130 total, incl. shipping, online (gmpartsdirect). And it was fairly easy to do the swap by myself. I removed the (leaky) air bags, and left the rest of the system intact, so I can still use the air compressor.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
39 Posts
Air suspension issues

I took the advise of others on this site and removed the air compressor and used a "T" to connect the air shocks/bags to the schraeder valve in the cargo area. I keep a portable compressor w/built-in gauge and pre-set pressure setting so I can adjust the ride based on load. I filled it to 60lbs and it works great. The air shocks/bags were newer so I expect them to last a while. When they go I may convert the suspension to coil springs based on the available kit. Thanks everyone.:thx

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
10 Posts
Something good about GM air suspensions

When I first got my '05 Rainier 5 months ago I did not pay much attention to the air suspension. I pulled up behind it one day in my Lincoln and I noticed that the Right rear was higher. So I went around with a tape measure and measured from the floor of the garage straight up through the center of the wheel to the lip of the fender. The right rear was 1.5 inches higher than the left rear and the right front was also higher than the left front by about 3/4 in. So one Saturday my wife was out visiting her sister so... there were no honey do's so.. I decide to adjust it. After 2 Lincoln Mark VIIs and a Mark VIII what kind of problem could I encounter that I had not already surmounted! :duh: Well, the levelers were easy to find so I adjusted... took the Rainier out for long ride over some rough roads... came back.. they right rear was no longer higher... the left rear was and also just the opposite measurements on the front height also.... I drove around a couple of weeks grumbling... finally I had 2 days with the wife gone and no classes to teach so I dove back in... 1st day.. not too much luck... I read some more on the forum and decided maybe I should pull out the fuse before adjusting... well after fiddling around a bit more.. and several drives.. and making the compressor kick in buy laying 270 lbs on the high side... I finally got it! :woot:
Now I know I have the rearend a little lower than the factory "Look" but it is just like I want it now. Did I mention the the DVD factory Manuals are a bit worthless? Trying to search through one using words I know.. is not a very fun thing... and the dealer specification and measurement do not mean "cr*p" to me as they give no reference point that means anything to me. 34 inches from the level floor to the lip of the wheelwell, now THAT I understand NOT Z distance or T distance or any of that means anything. Give me a paper manual that I can go through and look at the pictures and find what I want!:duh:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...Well, the levelers were easy to find ...
Shockingly, we get 1-2 questions EVERY MONTH about where the leveling sensors are located and how to fiddle with them. It is pretty obvious after a short search. As long as you can tell a sensor from the anti-sway bar or the differential. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer SS
3 Posts
Where or how do you do this Y bypass? I just got to my cabin and indicator light flashing and compressor does not turn on

Compressor does not operate

I posted in another thread but I guess no one is there to read or respond. I have the same problem with the rear compressor not working- but in the rear cargo area, the switch light does NOT come on nor does the compressor activate when I start the vehicle. It did not make alot of noise before this and I checked, and replaced, the 30 AMP fuse just in case. I have a Haynes manual which has NOTHING on the ECAS system. Does anyone have the shop manual section which has this info? Need help from someone who knows this system and it's ghosts. Rear end is level witrh vehicle but not up as usual, so......may have to bypass compressor and do the Y splitter thing and fill it from inside as the $5 fix. Don't feel like parting with $$ for new compressor or conversion kit right now. Just got new air bags 2 years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts