Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have read many threads here about people converting from the air ride to springs. Lots of good information here. My simple question is this, has anyone ever made the conversion to springs but kept the compressor for the tire pump feature? If so, how did you go about making sure it wasn't constantly running, trying to fill an non-existent air suspension? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after 3 months and 119 views, no responses. Hard to believe I am the only one that has wanted to do this. So I did some research and some testing. What I ended up doing was disconnecting the lower bracket of the sensor from the knuckle. I then centered it off the hole and then zip tied it to the frame rail. Put the fuse back in and the pump didn't turn on. Tested the accessory pump and it works as desired. Is this the best choice method, probably not. But I did get the desired results.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
I have the exact same ??

I am also hoping someone knows if you can retain the air pump feature after replacing the springs.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gmc4flash, I can say that after nearly a month, the work I did has held up. The suspension is great and I have use of my pump. So I am happy. If you want, I can try to take a picture of what I did with the ride leveling sensor so you see what my solution looks like.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
18 Posts
thanks for the info

That is good to know... however my wife insisted :x I not mess up my kids truck by not using original parts and I have ordered air springs for it. Pretty sure I will revisit this again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
chevrolet trailblazer 2005

how can i know the height of the front of my trailblazer 2005 mod.ls from the floor to the edge of the fender

·
Registered
2 Posts
radio do not heard the 4 speakers

my 2005 trailblazer has a problem with the sound system sometimes the radio stops working and only one voice is heard. and the four are rarely heard. which may be

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, after 3 months and 119 views, no responses. Hard to believe I am the only one that has wanted to do this. So I did some research and some testing. What I ended up doing was disconnecting the lower bracket of the sensor from the knuckle. I then centered it off the hole and then zip tied it to the frame rail. Put the fuse back in and the pump didn't turn on. Tested the accessory pump and it works as desired. Is this the best choice method, probably not. But I did get the desired results.
I understand about disconnecting the sensor so it doesn't active the air compressor, but......!! Am I missing something?

So now, what does turn on the pump when you want to air up your basketball??
Did you wire in a switch somewhere??

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixvet,

I never disconnected the sensors. I simply adjusted them so that they always kept the pump off when it comes to filling the bags. There is a hole in the sensor arm that when the vehicle should be level, that hole will match up with a hole on the sensor. There are videos out there that talk about adjusting ride height. That is where I found out about level and not calling for more air. I then zip tied the arm on the sensors so that they didn't move. I have attached a picture of what my install looks like. Note this is before cleanup and trimming the tie.

As for turning on the pump, I am still able to use the switch in the rear compartment where the hose is stored.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's great thanks for the picture. I'm missing the air hose that fits in that compartment in the back. Any idea where I can pick up one of those or find something that will work that child can be bought from someplace else? First converting the bags to Springs in the back a difficult job?

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
15 Posts
Rear Air suspension replace to springs

I put in many hours with phone calls, online/parts searches , VIN & RPO code translations for what suspension package was on my 07' denali 4WD;;
seems nivomat- is this air suspension - maybbe, but is the ZW7 suspension ;
so I saw coil springs on my rear end, previous owner must have done the conversion from air.
But when towing 4500 camper- back end squats , so I am ordering the AC Delco PRofessional premium coil springs - 45H2133 - VARIABLE rate ....stay tuned.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
21 Posts
I put in many hours with phone calls, online/parts searches , VIN & RPO code translations for what suspension package was on my 07' denali 4WD;;
so I saw coil springs on my rear end, previous owner must have done the conversion from air.
But when towing 4500 camper- back end squats , so I am ordering the AC Delco PRofessional premium coil springs - 45H2133 - VARIABLE rate ....stay tuned.
So did you ever purchase the coil package?? We've been holding since you said... stay tuned... Thx!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rear Air suspension replace to springs

I know this is almost a zombie thread - but I installed the 2 1/2" spacers on the top of the rear springs and achieved a good lift - which I will match when I do the front suspension kit after I recover more from my last surgery.

Anyway - if you are biasing the trailer tongue too much by putting more than 10-15% of the total load of the trailer and contents --- on the trailer ball - then you are not loading it correctly.

If you follow the 10-15% rule, you should be able to carry a substantial amount of load in the trailer and not radically affect the ride height in the rear.

Better yet - get a load equalizing hitch unit with the two spring arms that send the tongue weight forward to the front wheels of the towing vehicle, and the rest goes back to the trailer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts