Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 months ago my Envoy started dropping in the back, However it was not constant, It would drop in 2 min or 2 days and anything in between. However as of late is has got to the point it will drop while driving down the road! This does pose a problem as I guess you could imagin. Also it seems that the bags will deflate A LOT faster after it hits a certain point.

I know you guys have seen this a 1000x before. Let me give you a run down on everything that I have done so far. By reading these forums and a few others they all stated my problem could be caused by a bad compressor. So I bought a new compressor. The problem still exists!

But I finaly got some help when working on my Envoy and I was able to spray soap on the air shocks when someone sat on the back. I was able to see LOTS and I mean LOTS of little air bubbles forming from all around the Air Shock. So I am guessing that this is my problem and I plan on changing them out with some I got at a salvage yard.

My question to you guys is!

Is this normal for the bags to leak air? Or do I have bad bags?

The reason I ask this is I know the system is suppose to raise and lower the back depending on the weight. Does the pump allow the air to come back out? Or does it leak through the bag?

Thanks for your advice!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I actualy sprayed them before I forked out the money for a new pump, but I couldnt see anything bubbles at that time.

I have a 2004 Envoy with 120k miles.

All the bubbles I had seen was around were the fold would be, and they seem to get worse as the Envoy went down. Too me they looked like Age cracks (IE Dryrot) but I didnt know if the cracks was just how the bags keep the air in check.

BTW they are small small leaks but like one every 1/4 inch or less.

Today I am going to change out the bags with some that I got when I got the used pump at a salvage yard. I hope these are in better conditon.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I read about the check valve as well. However from what I can tell there is NO check valve of any type on the bags.

The good news is that I did change out the bags today and I have to say 100% better. The old bags were dry rotted with cracks BAD one was even 1 inch long and you could see the webbing inside the rubber.

I dont know how long the used ones will last, but I did find a website were you could get new bags for 125 a bag. Anyone know any cheaper place I would be glad to hear it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.