Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened the rear hatch to a loud crack and snap - for whatever reason the top piece of plastic that holds the 3rd brake light snapped and broke on both ends. Now its not held down and flaps all over going down the road. Any idea where I can find a replacement cheap? The local body shop wanted $450 just for the piece of plastic! It looks like the metal bar that goes down the center is bent as well. I'm hoping to just bend it back, although I have no clue how or why this happened to begin with! Go figure - as soon as you get them paid off they start falling apart!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
71 Posts
Mine was like that too, plus the hinge for the glass came off. I took the glass off and used 2 part epoxy to glue the hinge back on, the bar that runs between the hinges (after straightening it), and also on the two end bolts. Even though the plastic surrounding the bolts cracked, putting the epoxy on and clamping them down till it set did the trick. Everything is lined back up and working fine for about 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing yet

Apparently someone needs to go into the plastics molding business for these 'Upper Reveal Moldings'. Every single one that I've found in a junk yard is either broken just like mine, or they won't sell just that plastic piece, they want to sell the whole lift gate! I think I'm going to try the epoxy solution and see what happens. Any idea how I take it the rest of the way off? I think the part number is 88979821 for my EXT in case anyone needs it.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
71 Posts
Any idea how I take it the rest of the way off?
The plastic piece?

1. Open entire liftgate
2. Pull down plastic trim from rear of ceiling to reveal the CHMSL wire (you can see where the wire comes through the roof to see where you need to pull the trim)
3. Disconnect the CHMSL wire and feed it up through the roof
4. Close liftgate
5. Open rear window
6. Pull defog wires off tabs on each side of window
7. Remove c-clip from each hinge pin
8. Push hinge pins out
9. Remove window/upper reveal moulding assembly
10. If the bar between the hinges needs straightening, pull it off and straighten it then epoxy it back in place.
11. Fill the broken/cracked bolt holes on the plastic piece with epoxy and then use clamps to hold the bolts in place until epoxy dries. I left mine clamped about 4 hours and it has held up.
12. Reinstall is reverse of removal. Feeding the hinge pins back through all the slots on the plastic piece took a little effort. I had to have my son get on the roof and push down on the plastic while I was feeding the pin through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.